Essential reading/ Beginner Arb library

KnotSure

I am new to this and just starting my training to get the practical skills to work my way into arboriculture. I understand that hands on experience is where the real skill development comes from and alongside this I want to learn the theory, as it were. It isn't feasible for me to go to college to study at the moment however I am very interested to improve my knowledge of trees, woodlands and all associated topics in my own time. I love to read.

I am currently at a little bit of a loss as to where to start with my reading as there is lots of material out there, much of which is above my level currently(assume I know nothing :001_smile:). I want to generate a good knowedge of all the fundamentals so that I have a good foundation to build on for the future.

There is soo much literature out there and I imagine many of you have read much of it and possess your own personal arb libraries, so I wondered if I could tap your experience and see what you would recommend to get going. A chance to sculpt a budding arborist :biggrin:

What general topics are there to be covered?

Which books would you suggest for general understanding of each?

Which books would you suggest as an introduction into more specific areas?

ArbLibrary_zpsd1ef7a5c.jpg

To date my library contains;

The Secret Life of Trees by Colin Tudge

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0002120356/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]Field Guide to the Trees of Britian and Northern Europe by Alan Mitchell[/ame]

Trees in Britian by A.L.Howard

VTA handbook is great, lots of images and easy to understand, easy to relate to trees you see and work on too.

Shigos Modern Arboriculture is also really good for beginners and above. Everything is broken down and explained very clearly.

Anything by Mattheck is worth having as his images make complex things understandable.

That's a good and reasonably priced start, once you've got through that you could be a bit more selective with what you get next, and what price to pay!

Good luck...

Thanks for the responses guys, will add those to my library. They look great :thumbup:

Visual Tree Assessment by Claus Mattheck

Modern Arboriculture by Alex Shigo

Fundamentals of General Tree Work by Jerry Beranek

Any suggestions for books on Forestry? Is Sylva; Or a discourse of Forest Trees by John Evelyn worth a read or is there a better suited book on the subject?

I would be interested in books about woodland management too and perhaps some nice historical/folklore books for an easy enjoyable read. Keep them coming :thumbup1:

Assuming you know which way is up in a tree, I suggest you start with Trees: Their Natural History by Peter Thomas, an elegantly constructed and beautifully written book that manages to be general and specific at the same time and feeds you with an almost infinite number of leads to pursue as your appetite affords.

Woodland Management by Chris Starr is a great read and introduction to the various aspects of woodland management.

If you want folklore you should be able to get a cheapish copy of Meetings with Remarkable Trees somewhere. It's not very scientific but it's not too dippy either, and gives a good flavour of the tree/man relationship over the centuries.

Thanks for the responses guys, will add those to my library. They look great :thumbup:

Visual Tree Assessment by Claus Mattheck

Modern Arboriculture by Alex Shigo

Fundamentals of General Tree Work by Jerry Beranek

Any suggestions for books on Forestry? Is Sylva; Or a discourse of Forest Trees by John Evelyn worth a read or is there a better suited book on the subject?

I would be interested in books about woodland management too and perhaps some nice historical/folklore books for an easy enjoyable read. Keep them coming :thumbup1:

Sylva...is a very old book. It's quite a heavy read because the language used isn't what you'd be used to today. It does give massive insight into the kind of stuff that is left out of modern tree books and whilst you will probably learn a lot, most of it won't be of much practical use. A fantastic read if you have the patience and stamina though:thumbup:

Sylva...is a very old book. It's quite a heavy read because the language used isn't what you'd be used to today. It does give massive insight into the kind of stuff that is left out of modern tree books and whilst you will probably learn a lot, most of it won't be of much practical use. A fantastic read if you have the patience and stamina though:thumbup:

i seem to remember finding sylva as a digital download from a library scan (for free) at some point, worth searching around if you fancy a read

Thanks again for all the comments. DaltonTrees, thanks for the suggestions and a great post, that was exactly the type of information I was looking for. So I have now added to the list;

Trees: Their Natural History by Peter Thomas or free in ebook form here.

Woodland Management by Chris Starr

Meetings with Remarkable Trees by Thomas Pakenham

I seem to remember finding sylva as a digital download from a library scan

I had a little look and discovered that they are remaking Sylva and will release a new edition in 2014 with updated lingo and artworks. I also found the free version of the original thank you.

Sylva (Vol1); Or a Discource of Forest Trees by John Evelyn in free ebook format.