Cambium repair ?

Dean Lofthouse

Maybe all the cambium was torn off, and those are technically not cambium but other parenchyma cells. This exposes the myth that only a thin layer of cells on the outside of the tree is capable of cell division. Parenchyma cells deep within rays and elsewhere in the symplast can divide, given the room.

That squirrel damage appears fairly old.

I think the damage was caused at least 12 months previous, for some reason the squirrels have stripped the bark on nearly every Hornbeam I have on my land, I,ve taken down roughly 100 small trees now. The only trees remaining are Silver Birch, Blackthorn, Cherry, Alder and Hazel which they haven't touched.

It isn't as if I am over run with squirrels either, I see maybe two at most each day.

I was thinking maybe left over cambium cells because of the teeth marks, squirrels leave a tiny ridge between the teeth. Although they strip the bark completely off, they may leave traces of cells ( whether deeper than the cambium layer or the actual cambium layer) with then try to regenerate and close off the wound ?