Hand Winch/Tirfor

Dorset Hedgelayer

Evening all sometime (well about 7-8yr) ago was given a Parsons (thats whats on the side of it) hand winch/tirfor, can see how I would use, but thought I would check in case its not the way... Had a L/R with capstain winch for a while and used "normal" wire tirfors plenty of times yrs ago

The base/frame on this has a slight curve in it ,

you cant shorten the chain by putting different link in hole as its not recessed enough.

No idea on rating

only writing is

Parsons C140

(yes I know ratchet/bars in the wrong way, took pic;s put it way then saw, but you get the jist if it)

DSCF7157.jpg.9506a19050335808a76cdd876005f373.jpg

DSCF7158.jpg.c6389612a5be8cac074cec3089a56424.jpg

DSCF7156.jpg.2eeabace0275f94df4a7902ef21b54fc.jpg

Evening btggaz,

I know the sort of thing you mean and no cant cant see any thing like that,

theres a hole in the end of the toothed bar(for shackle/ another chain I gues)

the weight of it, you would want it resting on something by the time you got to top strand.

Not a light thing.

tnx reply

I know that as a sylvester?? It is a heavy winch system using chains, commonly used in mining for tensioning conveyor belts etc.

You anchor the bar, insert chain in th recess, operate lever to pull chain, there should be another chain gripper on a short length of chain which is used to hold tension, so you can grip the chain further along and pull again.

My dad used to use 2 in tandem to pull trees over.

ok thank that a little bit more info :thumbup1:

couple of other pic's 1 from other side and 1 looking down shaft and curve in "base" plate

weight is 14kg

could be used by putting shackle in end of bar with chain or rope ,

you would want the item your pulling to come over or out /be free

wouldnt like to try n take another bight at it or release the bar under load

DSCF7161.jpg.a4f16fdc148003dd889e9823e8f69b6b.jpg

DSCF7160.jpg.729754c2ba82c1bfb4729e06e8313b9b.jpg

just had a look on google for a sylvester winch 1st one is a link to mining and shows picture of 1 being used, same picture as at bottom of google page in the middle.

only got the one chain with it, just find a shackle that would go through bar, got plenty of 3t rated rope for pulling, one of them hand things to have , but havent used it in 5+ years :0)