trees next to buildings and wind.

cerneARB

Sorry student with question.

How vunerabale are trees that are next to buildings at risk from wind blow?

I know that if trees are felled at woodland edges the remaining trees if left open at edges are more at risk from wind blow.

I know that wind increases in urban sites with tall buildings.Would a tree survie if the building it was next to was taken down?

If the right tree is planted in the right place and looked after there should be no difference in risk. Then again if that happened we would have piss all work to do!

A trees growth form will be largely dependent upon the environment in which it grows, hence felling trees on the outside of a plantation will put newly exposed trees at risk to wind blow. IMO the theory could be as valid for a tree that becomes exposed due to the removal of a building in an urban environment. There will, however, be more factors to consider such as restrictions in root system growth, crown balance, height/diameter ratio, etc. I would look at any tree in this scenario individually to asses the risk due to a change in environment.

Chances are the demolition crew would just smash into it and compact the roots to hell and back anyway :bluboomteamenforcer

Most of the trees I have climbed that had wind damaged tops, once I was in the tree, I could see that the terrain funneled the wind right at the tree. Sometimes buildings, low hills and other trees, create a channel for the wind. So when assessing your tree's chances without the building next to it I would, as said above, make note of the prevailing wind direction but also consider the terrain.

Thanks all for your posts. The subject got me thinking about trees adaptions to urban enviorments. Thanks all for your input. I must learn to think about below ground as well as the crown.

Agree wholeheartdly about planting trees in the right place. im still trying to get my local council to plant trees in the correct place.