Place to practice tree climbing - Nottinghamshire

neldadog

Evening All!

I am new to the forum, but have read quite a few posts on arbtalk over the last few weeks as I have not long passed my CS38 tree climbing ticket.

I am not an arborist, but an ecologist - me and my collegue went on the CS38 course and assessment so we can inspect trees for bat roosts.

Anyways, I was expecting the tree climbing to be hard, that is to require great dexterity, skill and physical fitness and my god it was hard.

I was therefore wondering whether anyone may be able to point me in the right direction of somewhere we could practice climbing around the Nottingham/Grantham area?

Were are hoping to climb on weekends and between occasional jobs we get a work to improve our skills and confidence - I have found a new level of respect for arborists who get up into trees with chainsaws!

Many Thanks,

Ste

Hi,

I've taken my son climbing in Clumber Park a couple of times.

Got out of the way and just got on with it.

Don't know what they'd say if they'd have caught us

Lol

When I was practicing for my 38/39 I ask one of the local farmers if I could use trees on his land

He was fine with that

Sent from bed using Arbtalk Mobile App

Hello Ste,

There are a few of us around who go climbing at the weekends. Im based in Grantham and go out every now and again. Keep a look out for Reccy climbs in Lincon and your more then welcome to tag along. We are hoping to try and sort another one out soon. Not sure on where yet but we will find some where soon tho

Tom

Cheers guys, that's great. It would be good to go along with people who know what they are doing! Need to know how to do things like footlocking that you dont get to do on the course and assessment. Also need to build up some confidence (and upper body strength)!

I do like your picture Tom ....

Ah, tell em ya checking it, and I don't mean ones where you have to go out of your way, marching across a land owners fields for a tree slap bang in the middle. I mean like climb a tree in some local woods with plenty of access, round where I live it's all forestry land, or public access, so anything is fair game, although round here, if you trespass and climb someone's tree, they will likely want you to prune it 'while you're up there'

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App