Accountants (sigh!)

bolthole

The last three accountant's I've had have been absolutely useless... didn't do what I asked them to do, zero communication, charged me a lot...

Can anyone recommend a good 'un. I'm Cheshire/Shropshire based.

Thanks in advance...

Is this for Ltd Co or sole trader? VAT returns, payroll etc to complete or just self assessment?

Have you thought about using an accountant remotely? We have been using one this way for last 3 years and they have been great.

Send me a PM if you want more info

It's sole trader and just self-assessment.

All of my previous accountants have been 'out of area' for me so I'd prefer someone local but someone proactive is probably more important.

My current accountant seems to have decided to ignore my existence to the point of doing nothing for the tax year 2011/12 for me. I'm now a late submitter and subject to penalties... I was non-resident for that tax year so the amount of money at stake is substantial - otherwise I'd attempt to self-assess online.

I now need someone familiar with the Arb trade, but mostly someone who does their job properly, or at least keeps me in the loop and fronts-up when it's up to me to sort something out.

PM sent....

I don't know any in your neck of the woods sorry, but have a look at this system FreeAgent it's on-line and I've been using it now since last November. It just makes the bookkeeping easier and it can invoice people straight from the estimates set up. It's saving me loads in terms of time and I hope when I come to give it all to the accountant

Online Accounting Software: Small Business and Freelancers - FreeAgent

All he best

Steve

I agree with Steve you want some who is into accounts and saving you money anyway they can not into arb our accountants interested in the gear but only as much as we make the sales and they know how to sort the tax etc

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I take your point guys and you might be right - I'd just like to deal with someone who doesn't have to have too much explained to them... someone who I can pay to do for me the things I find difficult!

In a previous life (in a previous trade) I used a guy who did the books of a lot of people in the same business - he was fantastic and knew exactly how to minimise my tax liabilities. We had a couple of 'meetings' at the local tax office which I still look back on fondly!

The trouble is, I can't find him to use again... his old office has been demolished and he's not in the 'phone book (or on t'internet).

Previous (more recent) accountants I've had have had to be asked very specifically to pursue stuff I've found myself on the HMRC website... stuff which was very much to my advantage. I'm just sick of dealing with lead-footed, blood-sucking incompetents...

Anyway.... rant over... and breath!

I pay my accountant by standing order each month, he does my tax return and submits my accounts. He has saved me loads since I started using him and is worth every penny.

Sent from Hodge's eye phone using the new fancy Arbtalk Mobile App:)

I pay my accountant by standing order each month, he does my tax return and submits my accounts. He has saved me loads since I started using him and is worth every penny.

Same with me, it was one of the first things I sorted out when I first went self-employed.

I also proactively keep in contact with them and get updates every couple of months.