TPOs??

The Tree Hunter

If in doubt, check it.

A quick phone call now, that could save you a big fine later.

Also be wary of clients who tell you they have checked already, always worth double checking in case someone tries to pull the wool over your eyes. Doubly applicable with builders/ developers.

Its worth getting the email of the LPA tree officer, you can then list trees you want to check and they can get back to you at there leisure plus you then have it in writing.

Depending on how well you know the area you generally get a feel for the likelyhood of Conservation areas and TPO's. If you can visit the council they should have a map of areas so you can bear this in mind. With TPO's its more difficult to judge as even newly replaced trees can be covered by TPO along with trees in groups etc..

And ditto Peter beware people claiming they have already checked for protection as it may not have a TPO but be in the conservation area.

yeah cheers, i wouldn't take anyones word on anything let alone a TPO and the risk of huge fines, i was told i'd have to wait between 6-8 weeks to get clarification on TPOs, is this right and if it is are there any quicker ways i can research myself??? I've had a couple of people who have had trees on their property ask me to quote them, when i've told them i need to check the status of the tree, they seem to do an about turn and not want it done anymore...... then a week later its down anyway!!!!!

When quoting for the job have a comments section that all trees will be checked for protection on reciept of order, once the client has confirmed they are ok with the price you can then proceed knowing your not wasting your time.

This doesnt always work as the LPA will not always give consent to the proposed works so the quote may require ammending slightly.

I ring the planning department of the council, I know who in the office does tpo checks and which days they work.

I dont always tell the client, I give them the price and just check it anyway, then if it is tpo'd I can go back to them, if it isnt then I havent worried them unnecessarily.

The problem is that people dont understand the implications of a tpo, they think it will be a slap on the wrists and they'll get away with it. Sad thing is, with many LAs being overstretched and understaffed, they are probably right.

You should be able to get an answer almost immediately as to the status of the trees, the whole application process normally takes 6-8 weeks for them to approve or decline your application, When I check I just give the address of where the work needs doing and ask 'are there any tpo's or is it in a conservation area?' I don't give details of what work is required at that stage. I have had one before where the garden I was working in wasn't in a conservation area but the gardens either side were!

I ring the planning department of the council, I know who in the office does tpo checks and which days they work.

I dont always tell the client, I give them the price and just check it anyway, then if it is tpo'd I can go back to them, if it isnt then I havent worried them unnecessarily.

The problem is that people dont understand the implications of a tpo, they think it will be a slap on the wrists and they'll get away with it. Sad thing is, with many LAs being overstretched and understaffed, they are probably right.

Damn right, we lost a job for being "too cheap" we priced to thin 5 Lime trees by 15% - the guy who got the job didnt understand the spec and reduced them by 15% (hence why he was dearer) the LPA said they didnt have the resouces to follow it up and that "they would grow back!"

(slightly different as consent was already given for the thinning work to be undertaken - following on from your comment on being understaffed)

The LPA should be able to tell you over the phone whether there are any constriant on a tree (TPO or Conservation Area) or at worst within 48hrs (Planning App Checks may take a little longer!!!) There will (should!) be a public register available at the council offices. 8 weeks is the maximum duration for determining an application for works - any longer and you can appeal.

As has been pointed out. There are TPOs on a wide range of trees from seedlings to stumps. Because a TPO is a landcharge there doesn't even have to be a tree there!!!