3" Beech Root Cut--Repair?

treeseer

Can't hurt to give it a try - you could try notching as the lad in this video

is doing, but as you say using it to bridge. Beech does sometimes graft where branches rub so that is surely something in your favour?

I've never tried it but if i was going to i might try using 3 smaller stems over the top - the smaller stems will have a higher proportion of cambium so should take better. I though about trying to bridge graft some horse damaged beech but never got round to it so would be very interested to see how you got on if you decided to give it a go.

this was just a quicky report; no arguments with any of the responses here to date, but the chance of serious decay entering trunk makes a program of care reasonable to carry out imo

ASSIGNMENT

2/6/13 I was asked by the owner to look at the damage to a beech tree, determine its significance, and if necessary find a way to restore the tree to a reasonable approximation of its previous condition.

OBSERVATIONS and DISCUSSION

I reviewed pictures of the damage and consulted with experts on repairing this type of damage. If nothing is done there will likely be significant decay with loss of stability, health and value in this tree. Grafting techniques have a reasonable chance of success in making this root functional again. Done in late March, bridge grafting can connect the two sections.

SPECIFICATIONS

1. March 2013 install bridge grafts on severed root. Use grafting wax per manufacturer’s recommendation.

2. Control vegetative composition and competitive vegetation by the removal of inferior species.

3. Test the soil and fertilize and/or amend or replace as indicated.

4. Mulch the area with 2” hardwood chips

5. Monitor the progress of the grafts and manage the tree for four years.

6. Minimize insects, disease, cultural problems and risk of fire (Plant Health Care Program)

Estimated Time Needed: 3 hours in 2013, 1/2 hour each in 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 = 5 hours

Estimated Cost: 5 hours x /hour = 5x$ paid by fencing contractor toward tree care

Edited by treeseer

Of course the option to do nothing exists - i took that option for the horse damaged trees myself, but if you never try you never know. As there's little damage likely to result from trying in this case, then why not encourage him to give it a go?

If it works i'd be interested to see the trees wound healing response relative to the position of the graft, more generally though it might encourage someone else to consider it as an option in a more critical situation. Similarly if it doesn't work then we might learn from that also.

TS - what is the purpose of the mulch? Your spec is for h/w chip, at the risk of seeming pedantic, would you not be better with at least a ground contact layer of something fully or part-composted?

" As there's little damage likely to result from trying in this case, then why not encourage him to give it a go?

If it works i'd be interested to see the trees wound healing response relative to the position of the graft, more generally though it might encourage someone else to consider it as an option in a more critical situation. Similarly if it doesn't work then we might learn from that also."

my thoughts exactly--i looked at it as a way to try to get experience at grafting and get paid for it. :001_tt2:

"TS - what is the purpose of the mulch? Your spec is for h/w chip, at the risk of seeming pedantic, would you not be better with at least a ground contact layer of something fully or part-composted?"

Yes exactly, good point; I added "chop leaf litter with mower and"...mulch, to speed the composting process. i would also broadcast gran fert to further speed the process, after mowing.

Beating the fencer with the root is also a great idea but 1 i am leery of liability and 2 Beating him/her/it at the wallet may have greater impact.