Quantified Tree Risk Assessment (QTRA) - Questions & Answers

Acer ventura

What can injure one person may kill another, so if you assess against the risk of death do you not already encompass the broadest possible spectrum of 'harms'?

Hi Tony

My reply to this one got lost somewhere between Singapore and Perth, and I think this may address the point you raise here.

A 1/10 000 RoH represents anything between and including;

a 1/10 000 likelihood of losing a life

a 1/1 likelihood of injury equivalent to a 10 000th of a life.

Cheers

Acer ventura

• 2 years later...

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I was surprised to see this thread rocketing up the view charts earlier this year. The reason I was surprised is because it was written in early 2013, and a significant amount of the content has been superseded since QTRA v5 was launched in October 2013. It was then pointed out to me at a QTRA training workshop that it was being used as a learning resource by some in relation to a study assignment which was to design a tree risk assessment system. If that’s the reason you’re here then there’s still some worthwhile information in the thread, but if you haven’t yet, I would recommend having quick look at the summary of what QTRA v5 does which makes it an improvement and significant development from QTRA v4; which was the current version at the time the thread ran. The v5 thread dies quite quickly, and doesn’t provide much more information than the opening post.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/general-chat/72575-quantified-tree-risk-assessment-qtra-version-5-questions-answers.html

Also, there’s a thread called “Tree Risk Assessment: TRAQ & QTRA - Compatibility and Common Ground”, which has a document attached to the first post, and it supersedes a similar thread that was run in 2014. There’s a lot of complicated analysis about risk matrices in there, and a lengthy discussion about tree risk assessments crossing the boundaries and becoming risk management decisions. Some of you might find this useful as well.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/general-chat/88697-tree-risk-assessment-traq-qtra-compatibility-common-ground.html

Any questions about any of these threads, either reply on the thread, or PM me.

Cheers

Acer ventura

• 2 months later...

Hi

By way of an update that might be of interest if you find yourself at the end of this thread. I've uploaded my presentation 'Safety in Numbers: Balancing Risks with Benefits', which I delivered at the International Society of Arboriculture Conference in Florida, 2015, here:

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/general-chat/88697-tree-risk-assessment-traq-qtra-compatibility-common-ground-2.html#post1347612

The presentation is a useful introduction to some key concepts about risk, and the value of using numbers rather than words when assessing and managing tree risk.

Cheers

Acer ventura

• 1 year later...