Welding

Pltreesurgery

Here's a bit of welding I did today, snowed off so thought I would make something for the garden ! Going for an old fashioned lamp post with hanging baskets on the side spirals,

Base is a co2 bottle with a scaffold tube welded on and some scrolls from the local blacksmith , just need a lantern to go on the too and jobs a good un ! Painted with black hamerite, going to do the spirals and spear heads in gold ! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359059436.573297.jpg.72619d73aba609da46ff1b06a6430b1f.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359059404.083013.jpg.2bf9d06bcb29d43256e8428196708f5e.jpg

Thats nice,I love a little weld project,I can only use stick & mig so far,(used these for years),its a very usefull ability to have.

I wonder how many of us arb types make & mend,well worth getting familiar with basic welding & fabricating skills in our line of work.

Maybe we should have a welding specific thread,help people get the right kit,(it's a minefield for a newby not to end up with a bad quality welding machine).

Also a bad weld can be the cause of all sorts of nightmares,just a thought.:001_smile:

I only use stick weld, do like mig though ! It certainly has it's benefits such as positional welding etc . I use a little Clarke 140 turbo fan assisted , good for rods up to 3.25 mm but run it mostly on .2.5mm .

I make my own fencing tools such as the post thumpers . I make mine square as it saves having to put a post twister on if the post goes of square ,

I also made a big heavy weight one for the big 4 inch posts , takes 2 people to operate but if you get good ground it saves digging and concreting them in!

lamp post looks good mate.

got into welding recently after doing a city n guilds year long evening class, found it to be great we covered arc/ mig and tig, just use arc at home but feel ok with it now where as before results were a bit hit and miss( mainly miss!:001_rolleyes:) would recomend the course.

couple of things i had a go at making.

carl

P1060046.jpg.aa03e2323fced28d7fefe67b04dbcbb8.jpg

P1040374.jpg.ea8c664a5cfd83e32671fb3bc3626565.jpg