Hitch climber pulley and standard prusik?

recycledsole

Oh, and to answer your question, yes, you are safe, but making it hard for yourself!

+1 you are safe in using a prusik and HC pulley together.

What are your reasons for choosing the prusik knot?

The pulley will work fine, but a prusik doesn't release well when it hits the pulley in taking up slack. That is why most of us use the pulley, to hit the friction knot and release it. That leaves both hands to pull on the rope if needed with out fussing with the friction hitch.

A Klemheist will release a little but not as well as a VT. But both are directional so if using both ends of you rope they would not work.

i choose this prusik hitch because i am new, and that is the only one im farmiliar with. i will look into the VT and the klemheist. thank you very much

Just go low and slow with any new friction hitch knots until you get a good understanding how they will work with your combo.

Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists Knots Guide

Have a look through the Arbtalk knot guide. Lots of good info. :thumbup1:

ah ok. thank you reddog. now that you say that, i do notice i have to still pull the slack through, although its a lot easier. i choose this prusik hitch because i am new, and that is the only one im farmiliar with. i will look into the VT and the klemheist. thank you very much

Even Better...Arb Talk Knot Guide app, great on the move....or up a tree :001_tongue:

There are so many types of different friction hitches, using different types of cordage, rope etc. Give them all/as many as you can its fun as well as beneficial to you knowing as many as possible.

I was using viper 8mm prussik (endless) 4/6 rap for a while, was reluctant to change as I knew and felt comfortable with it. I was convinced to try others out (as i am trying to do here) and its made such a difference. I know climb with a variety of hitches for different applications.

Let us know how you get on and what you decide on, pictures of your set up would be cool!

• 2 weeks later...

A quick question about the hitch climber. I recently brought one to enable me to slack tend the friction hitch for a faster climb. I find the the hitch climber setup quite bulky compared with a prusik and one krab and was thinking of using a micro pulley behind the prusik to do the same job as the hitch climber. If would seem that this would be simpler and less bulky but are there disadvantages to this? Advantages of the hitch climber over a micro pulley?