Anyone have or recommend a chalet in the Alps?

WorcsWuss

As above really, the snow today has reinforced my desire to hit the mountains and I fancy a chalet, preferably within an easy drive of the UK, to take the family away to.

So if anyone has any recommendations or suggestions please let me know!

Many thanks!

Simon :001_smile:

If your driving then no part of the Alps is magically closer than any other!!!

An easy drive would be calais or paris at a push. Loads of good chalets all over the "alps" but best to actually decide on a resort that suits your style, your skiing and your budget, closeness is not really a factor as its cheaper to fly, train is next best and driving is fun if you want to make it part of the holiday but expensive if you want to just rush to get there.

Just go with a basic tour operator like Neilson, simples, no frills.

I've driven to most parts of the alps in the past, Italian, Swiss, Austrian and French. I find Austria a bit of a jaunt but doable with an overnight stop.

Switzerland would suit best, even with the kids I reckon a long day is feasible.

I would rather watch big brother than go through an airport, particularly with kids, snowboards etc. And I'd rather eat sick than watch big brother....!

Last time we did Switzerland we flew, but it took forever anyway. Drive to the airport, fanny about there for hours, fly, fanny about, minibus. Expensive and time consuming. DEFINITELY going back to driving!

I can see the appeal of driving, definately! My last flying trip has made me think twice about it and I don't have kids to deal with as well.

If you've done it before them you know where is best. Some of the tour operators give a discount for not flying. I went with ski Olympic and there was a couple in the chalet who had driven over. But Olympic are not great IMO.

I really like having the car there. It gives an opportunity to travel around a bit, if the snow or weather is crap where you are, get up early and drive a hour somewhere else!

What I'm after is just an empty chalet I can rent in it's entirety rather than per person. Don't need a chalet girl and because we'd have the car it doesn't need to be particularly close to anything. Just needs to be clean and cheap!

I've driven to Les Arcs for the last two years, bit of a ball ache as the traffic is bad in the foot hills but resort and snow more than make up for it.

This years snowfall is already better than last years so its going to be a good year to go!

We are looking at porte du soleil for easter, seems to be the closest to drive to. (we are flying this year).

Hope you have a good one!

I have just returned from Morzine, where it has been dumping for the last 6 days with more to come.

Just do a search on the net for chalet lets in the Alps. Plenty to choose from, just give the estate agents a call.

As for cheap, I'd say, good luck on that one. Nothing in the Alps is cheap!