Stihl 026

div_h

Hmmm. I've just noticed on the last pic that there is a promenant score mark on the drum where the needle bearing should be....

Good thought spud.

Ha ethe chain ever been a pain to get adjusted right..?

Not sure if the needle bearing could have come out when the carnage happend. It would be held back by the washer and clip on outside of drum and also but the clutch on the inside.. It would have to have been turned to dust.

I'm with you spud and that's if there was a needle bearing there in the forst place....?

Not sure, I quizzed my dad last night and he said he took the sprocket cover off and there was bits everywhere, put the cover back on and slung it under the bench. I'm going to replace these parts and send it away for a tune/check over, I want it done proper don't mind spending money on it as it was free :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the parts landed today:thumbup: all put back together for a ( Sunday morning test) think I seen a post about using saws on a Sunday! Just need to order a new bar and chain from rob d and I will be happy! Thanks for all the help :thumbup: much appreciated :thumbup1:

• 4 weeks later...

This saw is getting on my nerves :thumbdown: got it all put back together using the old bar and chain and used it to chop up old pallets and some logs, was fine...but noticed the fuel cap had a slight leak, so ordered new cap, bar and chain. Fitted the new bar/chain and cap so now it starts revs but dies when you start cutting but starts again no bother revs out try another cut then dies, now the new fuel caps leaking :confused1: I've had the carb of and cleaned it,checked the coil wires, and plug looks good, any ideas?? Thanks for your patience

This saw is getting on my nerves :thumbdown: got it all put back together using the old bar and chain and used it to chop up old pallets and some logs, was fine...but noticed the fuel cap had a slight leak, so ordered new cap, bar and chain. Fitted the new bar/chain and cap so now it starts revs but dies when you start cutting but starts again no bother revs out try another cut then dies, now the new fuel caps leaking :confused1: I've had the carb of and cleaned it,checked the coil wires, and plug looks good, any ideas?? Thanks for your patience

I don't know, but I will be very interested when you get an answer, as mine does something similar. I'm in the process of changing the fuel line and impulse line as first contenders for this, then going to be pressure tested to look for leaks in the gaskets.

Alec

Try this - pull off the airbox cover and air filter and then start and do a cut with the saw - I have noticed that these saws can blow back a bit of fuel which can saturate the air filter causing unstable running!

Only do a cut or two as you don't want the saw to ingest any dust but if you see excessive fuel vapour coming out of the carb but it works OK, try 3/4 turns on the H and L screw and try again with the filter on - this is what sorted the one I was working on!

The leak on the fuel tank - look for missing plastic and cracks - other than that - turning the seal round the other way can work:thumbup:

Try this - pull off the airbox cover and air filter and then start and do a cut with the saw - I have noticed that these saws can blow back a bit of fuel which can saturate the air filter causing unstable running!

Only do a cut or two as you don't want the saw to ingest any dust but if you see excessive fuel vapour coming out of the carb but it works OK, try 3/4 turns on the H and L screw and try again with the filter on - this is what sorted the one I was working on!

The leak on the fuel tank - look for missing plastic and cracks - other than that - turning the seal round the other way can work:thumbup:

Cheers Steve I will try this tomorrow, which way will I turn the H @ L screw if its successful?

Cheers Steve I will try this tomorrow, which way will I turn the H @ L screw if its successful?

In my thinking, leave the L on around 3/4 turn and open up the H screw until you get the top end fourstroking - it should be 3/4 - 1 1/4 turn out, any less and you may seize the saw!

You really need to know how you tune carbs to do all this as I find 026/024 a right pain to tune ....sometimes!