110 defender conversion

Drayton tree care

Hi mate, I had this 110 hi cap built for us this time last year by marks team at the defender centre. Firstly I've found the defender such a versatile and appropriate tool for our work I have just ordered an brand new 130 which will be coming in April.

We carry out mainly domestic work so having the smaller vehicle has been great for the bad access jobs and There has been a fair few jobs that we simply would not have won without its capabilities.

Now il be honest and say that I found the communication with mark to be a little slow at times however we did always get there in the end.

The standard of work is on par with what you pay for! What I mean by this is we had our transit converted by a company near us and the standard of work is noticeably better and more durable however there price for conversion was about £3k more!!

Also what I must add is we did get an oil leak problem within the warrantee period and they paid for the work to be sorted without fuss.

My honest opinion depending on you're financial position is to by new and don't scrimp on anything. This way you're have an outstanding vehicle that will pay for its self over and over and potentially last a life time if looked after!, also I've been informed that the defender (as we know it) will be going out of service within the next few years so for me it's seems like the last chance to buy new.

image.jpg.02fd7a7b0c6a9b21891b13940b776ece.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was planning on going a bit newer but it wouldn't hurt to have a look if you got some pickies and what's the mileage ?

If your thinking of going newer then ours is not for you, it's a an old truck which has done 180,000 miles. However, it starts first time everytime without heat and just keeps going and going.

No radio and it needs a little tidying but basically is sound.

If your thinking of going newer then ours is not for you, it's a an old truck which has done 180,000 miles. However, it starts first time everytime without heat and just keeps going and going.

No radio and it needs a little tidying but basically is sound.

Just curious mate, but why would you say the 130 is better than the 110?

Hi mate, I had this 110 hi cap built for us this time last year by marks team at the defender centre. Firstly I've found the defender such a versatile and appropriate tool for our work I have just ordered an brand new 130 which will be coming in April.

We carry out mainly domestic work so having the smaller vehicle has been great for the bad access jobs and There has been a fair few jobs that we simply would not have won without its capabilities.

Now il be honest and say that I found the communication with mark to be a little slow at times however we did always get there in the end.

The standard of work is on par with what you pay for! What I mean by this is we had our transit converted by a company near us and the standard of work is noticeably better and more durable however there price for conversion was about £3k more!!

Also what I must add is we did get an oil leak problem within the warrantee period and they paid for the work to be sorted without fuss.

My honest opinion depending on you're financial position is to by new and don't scrimp on anything. This way you're have an outstanding vehicle that will pay for its self over and over and potentially last a life time if looked after!, also I've been informed that the defender (as we know it) will be going out of service within the next few years so for me it's seems like the last chance to buy new.

That is very, very nice:thumbup:

Out of interest, how much work is it to get a standard 110 pickup upgraded to high cap rating? Can the chassis be strengthened, or is a whole new chassis required?

Sorry for the slight derail!

IIRC the chassis is the same, the name hi capacity was simply a term used when land rover altered the body shape to accept a higher capacity, the tail board was the width of the vehicle instead of some thing that resembled a letter box.

IIRC the chassis is the same, the name hi capacity was simply a term used when land rover altered the body shape to accept a higher capacity, the tail board was the width of the vehicle instead of some thing that resembled a letter box.

As far as I was aware, a "standard" Landy pickup/hard top/station wagon is plated for 3,000kg(ish), the Hi Cap & 130s are 3,500(ish)? Had the idea chassis was stronger in certain places, also maybe different springs.

I could be completely wrong though :biggrin:

cheers,

Joe

Simply because the longer wheelbase means you carry the weight better, the 130 have double springs whearas the 110 do not, bigger load bed.

Yep, I get what you mean. I have noticed though that most folk with a single cab 130 tend to stick a toolbox across the front bulkhead, therefore making it push the load further back. An easy add on that does limit the truck in reality.

As far as I was aware, a "standard" Landy pickup/hard top/station wagon is plated for 3,000kg(ish), the Hi Cap & 130s are 3,500(ish)? Had the idea chassis was stronger in certain places, also maybe different springs.

I could be completely wrong though :biggrin:

cheers,

Joe

There are 3050kgs, 3500kgs landys and there are standard chassis and HD chassis. The differences are not definitively linked. Usually a HD will be 3500kg but a standard can be 3500 too. I think all 130's are 3500 though, but the term hi cap is for the body type as mentioned above, not anything to do with GVW.

The upgrade is easier than people think. Paperwork, VIN tag and away you go. If you wish to fit double springs, anti roll bars etc, you can. All these will help with ability

There are 3050kgs, 3500kgs landys and there are standard chassis and HD chassis. The differences are not definitively linked. Usually a HD will be 3500kg but a standard can be 3500 too. I think all 130's are 3500 though, but the term hi cap is for the body type as mentioned above, not anything to do with GVW.

The upgrade is easier than people think. Paperwork, VIN tag and away you go. If you wish to fit double springs, anti roll bars etc, you can. All these will help with ability

Thanks a lot - so I just have to contact DVLA and ask them to upgrade it?