Tis the season to see Fungi, fa la la la la....

David Humphries

1. How is the difference significant?

2. hyphal water transport. However, I’m not convinced that the 'foraging' tendency observed in S. lacrymans is unique to it. I think it is a common habit amongst 'necrotrophic' fungi

Pete,

1. Only significant for a mycologist, who wants to identify and document a species with 100 % certainty :biggrin: .

2. I think, it's restricted to saprotrophic (dry) brown rot causing species degrading (processed) wood inside buildings, that have to decompose wood under relatively dry circumstances.

Edited by Fungus

Pete,

1. Only significant for a mycologist, who wants to identify and document a species with 100 % certainty :biggrin: .

2. I think, it's restricted to saprotrophic (dry) brown rot causing species degrading (processed) wood inside buildings, that have to decompose wood under relatively dry circumstances.

Gerrit

1. Understood, thank you ...:thumbup1:

2. In woodland/ forest environments surely you find evidence of similar habits amongst saprotrophic fungi?

In woodland/ forest environments surely you find evidence of similar habits amongst saprotrophic fungi?

Apart from Serpula lacrymans, which is not a "field" species, I suppose it could f.i. be expected from some dry brown rot causing species, such as Laetiporus sulphureus, when the mycelium (mycelial felts) is only present in the heartwood of f.i. Quercus robur without being connected to moisture holding living tissue through the radial rays.