Tis the season to see Fungi, fa la la la la....

David Humphries

Here's a few pretty pics from my man-made woodland collection. I thought Antrodia spp. probably A. xantha ?? I’ve mislaid the FB I collected and I did'nt really study it properly so its my best guess at the ID. Its about 150 mm diameter

Interesting pendulous mycelium formations. All from extremely humid (unventilated) sub- floors in recently built and occupied timber- framed building built on poorly drained ground in North West England on the edge of urban/rural development. All European processed conifer and manufactured composites (OSB). These photos were taken mid -summer last year.

SNV31078.JPG.cec6a0daaaf11fe7d6a5fdecaa0a3202.JPG

SNV31076.JPG.f3fd97352f27297e0d907eca9f66a6d8.JPG

SNV31068.JPG.61aa9a803b6944b025ddbeac25e00b60.JPG

SNV31058.JPG.3606a592c1a586dae90a08fd7d13f426.JPG

SNV31011.JPG.77eb6627260e0dfc8cf726fdc0473f6b.JPG

SNV31010.JPG.692cef68f4511b52a67fb1e615ee4450.JPG

Here's a few pretty pics from my man-made woodland collection. I thought Antrodia spp. probably A. xantha ?? I’ve mislaid the FB I collected and I did'nt really study it properly so its my best guess at the ID. Its about 150 mm diameter. Interesting pendulous mycelium formations. All from extremely humid (unventilated) sub- floors in recently built and occupied timber- framed building built on poorly drained ground in North West England on the edge of urban/rural development. All European processed conifer and manufactured composites (OSB). These photos were taken mid -summer last year.

Pete,

Great documentation :thumbup1: with the yellowish brown (guttation ?) droplets on the mycelium. It could also be (the mycelium of) Antrodia serialis, which is more often documented from processed coniferous wood.

Hi Gerrit, many thanks for your opinion. I also thought A. seriallis from the mycelium but the FB can't be? The yellowish brown exudation (guttation) is striking and interesting. I’ve seen if before with Antrodia but I don’t understand why the mycelium 'needs' to do this. Confusion with condensate droplets is of course very easy. I think it’s very difficult indeed to say with certainty that this is guttation and not condensate (dew)

1. I also thought A. seriallis from the mycelium but the FB can't be?

2. The yellowish brown exudation (guttation) is striking and interesting. I’ve seen if before with Antrodia but I don’t understand why the mycelium 'needs' to do this. Confusion with condensate droplets is of course very easy. I think it’s very difficult indeed to say with certainty that this is guttation and not condensate (dew)

Pete,

1. Did the "FB", that looks like an anamorph "panic" fruiting, contain basidiospores or chlamydospores ?

2. From the rhizomorphs of the dry brown rot causing Serpula lacrymans is documented, that they transport water, that stays behind in/on the wood (lignin) after the cellulose is decomposed and "consumed" in one place, is transported to "dry" places to "moisterize" the wood elswhere before the mycelium starts to decompose the cellulose there.

And it is also documented, that hyphae and/or rhizomorphs of S. lacrymans can detect (pieces of) wood on the other side of a brick wall and grow/stretch in a straight line towards it by penetrating the wall through the seams.

Here's a few pretty pics from my man-made woodland collection. I thought Antrodia spp. probably A. xantha ?? I’ve mislaid the FB I collected and I did'nt really study it properly so its my best guess at the ID. Its about 150 mm diameter

Interesting pendulous mycelium formations. All from extremely humid (unventilated) sub- floors in recently built and occupied timber- framed building built on poorly drained ground in North West England on the edge of urban/rural development. All European processed conifer and manufactured composites (OSB). These photos were taken mid -summer last year.

I could get right into house rot looking at pics like that pete!:thumbup1:

very very cool shots

1. Gerrit: I knew I should have examined it properly (microscopically) but I didn't. So sorry I cant answer that. How is the difference significant? :confused1:

2 Yes, I’m familiar with the work of Jennings et al. on hyphal water transport. However, I’m not convinced that the 'foraging' tendency observed in S.Lacryman is unique to it. I think it is a common habit amongst 'necrotrophic' fungi