Tis the season to see Fungi, fa la la la la....

David Humphries

David,

Would be exceptional, but throughout possible, as Carpinus is associated with ectomycorrhizal macrofungi too and in part shares some of the beech specific symbionts. Did you also find the tree species specific Lactarius circellatus and/or Leccinum griseum ?

Gerrit,

No Lactarius or Leccinum sp observed.

by the way: Hama, I was not trying to discredit you or double-check your info :blushing:, you're both way out of my fungus-league anyway, so I'm just happy to learn.

cheers,

Tom

no worries dude, i wasnt bothered by your post, was just trying to say to Gerrit that i do know what the p tuberaster is like, and how it lives!:thumbup:

most people wouldnt know it from p squamosus:001_smile:

It isnt just the centralised stip, but also the orientation and shape of the scales that helps determine them without a pore image

David,

Ash :

1. L. amethystina is an ectomycorrhizal symbiont associated with beech and oak, ash is associated with endomycorrhizal microfungi.

Conclusion : the Fraxinus trunk's base surrounding soil must be invested with (adventitious) roots of oak and/or beech.

Just revisiting this post Gerrit, because I had the oportunity to return to this particular site.

First two shots are from my original post, showing the deceivers at the foot of the Ash.

The next shots show deceivers at the foot of the adjacent Hornbeam, and also that there are in actual fact Oaks within the root zone of these deceivers, as you had predicted.

The grass inbetween the trees are colonised by the fruiting of the Laccaria.

I'm pretty sure you have tackled this querie before, but could you indulge me once more. Why do we find non species specific mycorrhzal fungi at the foot of non associated tree species.

Is it just random placement, or are they in that vicinity for something specifically beneficial ???

Thanks

David

IMG_7787.JPG.6cd9a8d92f5aaca6d1db244a5b68b68d.JPG

IMG_7783.JPG.8579a83a76a3fa6980678ab62fc91322.JPG

IMG_7782.JPG.e839640b3c9c71ff016664f6310e82f2.JPG

IMG_7727.JPG.b23e018b38d1224374bf3d9ff992ed15.JPG

IMG_7726.JPG.93863346a8a3f9ff4fa52a8976a51fb3.JPG

The next shots show deceivers at the foot of the adjacent Hornbeam, and also that there are in actual fact Oaks within the root zone of these deceivers, as you had predicted. Why do we find non species specific mycorrhzal fungi at the foot of non associated tree species. Is it just random placement, or are they in that vicinity for something specifically beneficial ???

Because the L. amethystina mycelium associates with and follows the (adventitious) roots (of the oak ?), which have grown towards the base of the ash's (and hornbeam's ?) trunk to collect water and nutrients running down the ash's (and hornbeam's ?) stem, just as L. amethystina does in the final phase of the life cycle of old beeches to facilitate the seedlings of the "mother" tree germinating around the trunk's base in contact with the newly formed adventitious roots of the old tree by the hyphae of L. amethystina. Also see Acer - Scleroderma - Red oak.

Edited by Fungus

Because the L. amethystina mycelium associates with and follows the (adventitious) roots (of the oak ?), which have grown towards the base of the ash's (and hornbeam's ?) trunk to collect water and nutrients running down the ash's (and hornbeam's ?) stem, just as L. amethystina does in the final phase of the life cycle of old beeches to facilitate the seedlings of the "mother" tree germinating around the trunk's base in contact with the newly formed adventitious roots of the old tree by the hyphae of L. amethystina. Also see Acer - Scleroderma - Red oak.

Appreciated :001_smile: