Tis the season to see Fungi, fa la la la la....

David Humphries

Pics 2 & 3 just look like very wet desicated squamosus to me.

Don't suppose you have any shots of the underside do you ?

no sorry i didnt think to lift it up cos i didnt want to disturb it. I thought it looked like the dog vomit one but it isnt. It was just a mass on the ground with no particular bracket shape to it.

Ok David I've been looking in Roger Phillips book , they seemed little more purple than comes across in the photo , only had my I-phone with me :( ,

I'm trying to swat up on idents there seems to be a lot of colour shades within the same type of fungi .. Do u know the names of the other ones ? Thanks John

I-phone takes a pretty decent shot :thumbup1:

This specific genus appears to be full of colour variations that makes Id particularly difficult.

Spore colour is one of the main ways of determining what species you may have.

what led you to describe the Russula as "xerampelina" ? Ask as I wonder which resource you use ? What species of tree were they near ? R. xerampelina is (from what I can gather, & I'm no expert) a reddish purple cap. Though there is a R. xerampelina var olivascens that is more grey/green.

Russula's can not be 100 % correct identified without making a sporee (colour table), assessing the smell and/or taste and without using chemical reagens and a microscope (spore ornamentation) along with specialized literature (f.i. : Kränzlin (2005). Pilze der Schweiz. Band 6 with descriptions and photo's of 135 European Russula species).

Besides, the Russula xerampelina s.l. complex includes R. amoenoides, R. cicatricata, R. cretata, R. elaeodes, R. faginea, R. gilvescens, R. gracilipes, R. graveolens and R. subrubens, of which only R. xerampelina s.s. and R. faginea are considered to be valid species. And R. xerampelina s.s., which smells like herring and has a red cap and stembase, only associates with Pinus and Picea.

some fungal finds from today ... the last 2 were on a dead laurel branch lying on the ground.

David,

The fourth photo shows Trametes versicolor and Datronia mollis, the last photo and the photo in your later post also show Trametes versicolor.

I would like to voice an irritation regarding the title of this thread! :sneaky2:

It's been going so long I have no idea what the season to see fungi really is! :laugh1:

That's the whole point Big J

It's always the season !

There's Fung about no matter what time of year it is.

Ofcourse the majority fruit from late Spring to Autumn, but if you look, you'll find them :thumbup:

yep, fairly decent reason.

There's currently in the region of 100,000 species described by taxonomists....................so far.

I just haven't gotten around to them all yet :001_rolleyes:

:lol:

damned good reason :thumbup:

better get your finger out then :001_tt2: