Tis the season to see Fungi, fa la la la la....

David Humphries

Can't say at present, is part of a small development site, there is another on the opposite side of the garden, and the client (prior to this discovery) was keen on keeping both. Maybe there'll be scope to keep it in some form in a less used part of what will be a garden...

Couple shots of L. sulphureus on an old oak wound. Panic fruiting out of the entry wound perhaps? May be well compartmentalised

Nice tear out wound, gives the tree great character.

Not so sure it's panic fruiting.

Long term past, present and ongoing colinisation I'd think.

Nice tear out wound, gives the tree great character.

Not so sure it's panic fruiting.

Long term past, present and ongoing colinisation I'd think.

It sure does. It's right next to a property, though am keen to have it retained forevermore, frankly.

Was just a thought with regards to the panic fruiting. No doubt it has been within the tree for a long time, looking at how much ribbing that wound has done. My guess is the limb got torn off during construction of the buildings 40-50 years ago and resulted in such wound formation.

Ok, I have a mate whose house has this line of HC and they, of course, have this leaf mining thing. They lost one recently and I went over to have a look.

The fallen tree has a bracket fungus presumably a Ganoderma (picture attached)

There is one behind it that is rotten and I took a pic of this which I'm guessing is just a dead wood eating sort.

Here's my question, do the great and the good think this leaf mining moth has weakened the tree leaving it vulnerable to this fungus.

None of the other 14 or so have any brackets.

Thanks in advance.

Mick

Ps I'm not charging him for this and have told him that a proper "qualified" sort may come up with a different view to mine. Unlikely though that the group of people who share the drive would pay for that.

image.jpg.769cff593489ca4ffe1cef8c52f5c73e.jpg

Ok, I have a mate whose house has this line of HC and they, of course, have this leaf mining thing. They lost one recently and I went over to have a look.

The fallen tree has a bracket fungus presumably a Ganoderma (picture attached)

There is one behind it that is rotten and I took a pic of this which I'm guessing is just a dead wood eating sort.

Here's my question, do the great and the good think this leaf mining moth has weakened the tree leaving it vulnerable to this fungus.

None of the other 14 or so have any brackets.

Thanks in advance.

Mick

Ps I'm not charging him for this and have told him that a proper "qualified" sort may come up with a different view to mine. Unlikely though that the group of people who share the drive would pay for that.

Looks like Ganoderma sp.

The leaf miners (I'm guessing you're on about Cameraria ohridella) will have 'an' effect on the health of the tree, as the tree will struggle to photosynthesise enough due to the reduced leaf efficiency.

This can reduce flower production, seed/conker formation and its ability to fight off infections like bleeding canker, Xylella etc..........all of these will result in low vitality which can lead to pathnogenic fungi 'avin a go !

45cm diameter wound on a 1m diameter stem, level with the top of the punching bag, on the back side. Kretz running from in the wound down to the ground, bases of both left and right scaffold branches sounding hollow. Poor thing!

Not a good prognosis I'd imagine Kev, coming out?

Can't say at present, is part of a small development site, there is another on the opposite side of the garden, and the client (prior to this discovery) was keen on keeping both. Maybe there'll be scope to keep it in some form in a less used part of what will be a garden...

Initial discussion suggests this tree will be staying, toward the end of the new garden area. I can't help but think it's going to need some help to have a long-term future staying upright and in one piece! Anyone like to offer thoughts/opinion/advice, feel free.

I'd like to encourage a phased retrenchment program. The tree currently has very high vigour, lots of good growth and no die back, it is showing distinct fluting around the columns of vascular dysfunction at the base with plenty of buttress reinforcing growth. My big worry is main limb failure, as there is lots of obvious decay at the crown break, extending into the bases of the scaffold limbs which are long and heavy, and I don't know if it's kretz, Ganoderma or both creeping up...