Tis the season to see Fungi, fa la la la la....

David Humphries

Looks likely...

Thanks sloth.

I'd agree with Kevin that it 'looks likely' though a word of caution, we have found that what we perceived as being G. applanatum brackets with the usual associated morphological features turned out to be G. australe when we looked at the microscopic features (spores etc...)

Ofcourse there's a significant decay difference between the two species across different tree types, so caution is the way to go in my experience.

I'd agree with Kevin that it 'looks likely' though a word of caution, we have found that what we perceived as being G. applanatum brackets with the usual associated morphological features turned out to be G. australe when we looked at the microscopic features (spores etc...)

Ofcourse there's a significant decay difference between the two species across different tree types, so caution is the way to go in my experience.

Thanks David. - Nice to know that I am at least close! - I just thought that these were a particularly nice example. 9 fruiting bodies all in close proximity, most at about 30cm across.

The crown is also in pretty poor order, but the target area is low hazard (though the Environment Agency might not agree), its over a river.

Edited by One Buck

• 2 weeks later...

45cm diameter wound on a 1m diameter stem, level with the top of the punching bag, on the back side. Kretz running from in the wound down to the ground, bases of both left and right scaffold branches sounding hollow. Poor thing!

1435951384669.jpg.17b2711f13319cbd1a744ba778d9cef6.jpg

1435951375447.jpg.9be7c2ac17f1ebb3274c29bfda0e64f0.jpg

1435951365226.jpg.a9111c707e3520a664f3527e79b54845.jpg