Change of Career?

CCB

Hi Folks, New to forum looking for some honest advice, i am 29 spent most of my life around Machinery, diesel seems to be in the blood, left school straight into agri contracting, them demolition,quarrying,plant hire,moved up the ranks to GF running large scale muck shifting sites, i am currently a plant manager for a large scale plant hire company i hold 11 categories on my card etc etc! suppose what i am trying to say is, the enjoyment of the job has disapeared now that i have a company phone, and a laptop! not to mention Health and Safety!!! i do make a good steady wage where i am, i still go out and cover the plant when the boys from the monday morning club dont show! for the last three years i have been doing logs in my spare time, felling the odd tree on the farms i frequent! i have always had an interest in cutting,love working with saws, and have done from an early age, although i do'nt have any relevant tickets for them! is 29 too old to start learning tree surgery? is it a career path that is going to pay? the logs can do well, but are seasonal, just like the Agri contracting! what do you guys think?

Go for it if u want it enough, i started at 29 after leaving the forces and havent looked back since

you have no idea how good it was to read this post as i to am hoping to break into this line of work at the grand old age of 44:001_smile: been using chainsaws for a good few years myself as a good friend lives on a farm so done a good bit of felling and logging up for our burners but as yet no tickets will have to alter that soon.

Thanks for that, good to see that i,m not the only one with the same train of thought? Not expecting to be a Millionaire doing it, but at the same time, dont want to struggle either, certainly not scared of any hard work anyway! probably not the best at saving! but then again i'm a great believer in the statement, "you get what you pay for"

A point of view from the other side of the pond. At 29 and working full time with benefits you could start fresh in the Arborculture industry. Just remember your decision can be long lasting and will involve a considerable amount of time and funds and Sacrifice on your part. If your single you may have an easier go than some. If your married or thinking about becoming married in the near future make sure you discuss your future plans of employment. If this career change is what your really looking for than make your plans and at least try. Have a plan A and B in place before you make the move.

easy-lift guy

Dont say no to any job, get them rolling in and then take your pic. I started doing the odd tree but mainly hedges etc. i still do hedge work but just to the loyal clients, and the rest is all trees.

What also helped me was i approach a landscaper, 8 months on were great friends and have a fantastic work ethic, so for the last 6 months I've had these extra jobs from him on top of the rest.

Yup, thanks! i am as good as married and have son, who also seems to have Diesel in his blood! as for the expence and time, i understand what you mean! got the saws, got some climbing kit, experimented a little, just really need to look into training/certification! and then gain experience!

What and how many categories for chainsaws/climbing/rigging etc are there before you can actually go out and climb a tree legit?