Firewood moisture content

Central

I have seen a few people where I live chop it up into 6 ft lengths and call it seasoned. They were right p'd off when I argued the toss with one over them calling it that. Anyway. I cut one of the lengths in half , cut 1 7 inch log from there and 1 from the end and split them both. My moisture meter read 30% off the end log split surface, and OL [off level, too high] off the one from the middle. He was amazed, and was going to sell them this winter, but I think he caught on its no good. He is a log seller for a living, and had called me an idiot with a chainsaw earlier in the day. Probably to put me off trying to make it in the same trade he does.

You could buy solar kiln dried logs from ourselves. We guarantee to be less than 20% moisture content and always have a moisture meter available to prove the point on delivery. As part of our quality control the date when the logs where split and put in the solar kiln is attached to the IBC container so we can do a proper stock rotation.

Ditto what John says. Many of these so called kiln dried logs aren't in the kiln long enough to season through to the centre. Solar kilning is far more effective in my experience.

Although as said earlier, the centre of a log will always be wetter than the outer, the different seasoning methods have different margins between inner and outer. Our logs out of the solar kiln can have upto a 5% difference, say 15 or 16% outer and 18 to 20% inside.

I've yet to find any other forced drying with such small margin.

I can't think of any possible reasons why not mate - they're basically just a very dense woodfuel, and there's nothing else in them apart from wood. I've never run a gasification boiler but we've run our stove on nothing but briquettes for years now, and to be honest the only way I'd want to go back to logs would be if they were coming out of my own woodland.

I see a lot of genuine log sellers stressing over whether their logs are 18 or 20% from experiencing logs from other people, I would say 80% of the logs delivered to homes at the moment are off the meter on moisture. If you cut green beech into cord wood and leave it for a year when you split it in the middle it will be at least 30% moisture. Some of the 4" stuff will be ok but bigger than this forget it.