Why is work so hard to find?

chipper080

If people put post like this it encourages people to look ahead and lift your head high and sometimes it helps more then belly crawling.

It makes you stand up as someone out there know what you are going through, if people can encourage you to lift you head up and look to the future and the brighter side of life is that not better then putting them down.

Thanks andy.

HI MIKE all the best mate with HI LINE mate im off out now on the cider jon :thumbup:

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Chipper,

I'm sort of in the same boat so hopefully I can offer a bit of advice from my situation.

Basically I retrained a few years back and got all my Arb tickets then spent a couple of years working for various tree surgeons around my area as and when they had work, when there was no work I volunteered for my local wildlife trust which looks great on CV's and also built on my knowledge base. This volunteering led me to securing a 1 year contract working at a local nature reserve which turned out to be the best year of my working life. This was what I was looking for all my life. Unfortunately this was only a year contract and this finished a couple of years back and I'm still looking for a permanent job in this field. Trying to find a full time position in conservation is probably harder than Arb, for example the last interview I had a couple of months back had over 250+ applicants for one position but at least I got an interview. This is something I want and I will stick at it until I succeed.

In the meantime I have been working for various tree surgeons, volunteering and I'm currently employed full time working in a warehouse. This is something I don't enjoy but you do anything to earn money to pay the bills and put you through training (or driving test in your case).

Basically what I trying to say is if you are prepared to do anything there is always a job, you might not enjoy it but it will only be in the short term and you'll be earning money in the meantime.

It might also be a good idea to set yourself some targets, on new years eve I wrote down a 1 year, 2 year, 5 year and 10 year target plan. It will be good for you to cross them off as you achieve them.

i still volunteer and get out when I can increasing my knowledge on wildlife in my own time as ultimately it will only help me with further applications.

I wish you all the luck and stay positive, I know it's difficult as I've had to stay positive for the past couple of years, you have your ups and downs but I'm confident I will reach my goal eventually and I'm sure you will too.

Good luck :thumbup:

Thanks bald monkey i have set some goals and am working to tick them off my list, it is taking a little while to get them done but i am getting closer every day to tick them off.

I am looking forward to taking car test hopefully sooner rather then later, have got some work to do no pay but work just the same and it is in the line of work i like as it is a hedge laying job at the end of my garden.

Can anyone tell me how much it cost to take climbing ticket?

Check out Blakes Training. They're located in Bridgwater, it's between them or Bicton College as to who's closest to you. Blakes' are a little cheaper. I'm looking to take my Aerial Rescue with them and it's £680ish inc VAT & Assesment.

Hi line did call me back and i had to send in a email with all my tickets and skills and the work i have been doing.

Trouble is they are looking for climbers not groundies like me but the nice young lady i spoke to thinks that it should not be a problem and will see what she can do but no promises.

She will get in contact with in two to three weeks to let me know what's happening.