permited development for forestry building

roglog

I have a small woodland in surrey and looking to put a barn up to keep equipment ant timber dry.

I have done a little research and it looks like I should be able to get this with 28 day notice permitted devolpment but my local council are saying that i can not.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a complicated and obscure piece of legislation. If you have a holding number for the plot you can do this, though it'd be prudent to speak to a planning consultant.

We do quite a bit of work alongside a top end consultant and he used this to good effect a few years ago for one of our clients.

You'd need to be prepared to spend a bit of cash for some good advice and guidance. Speak to several different consultants to get a bit of knowledge and help your research. They'll usually give you a bit of time for nowt.

permitted development is a bit of a myth depending on whether your council lets you get away with it or they insist on a full planning application. Best advice is to get a good land agent on the task. Our agricultural building should have been permitted development but we had to go to appeal due to the attitude of the local council. Thankfully I had a good land agent to put my case forward and run rings around the council.

I have a small woodland in surrey and looking to put a barn up to keep equipment ant timber dry.

I have done a little research and it looks like I should be able to get this with 28 day notice permitted devolpment but my local council are saying that i can not.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

they always say no because its shorter than yes, and upsets only you instead of forty busybodies around the district who have never even seen your wood.

My experience is only with agricultural buildings, but I think forestry comes under the same general principle, the key phrase is " reasonably necessary for the purposes of agriculture". If you can show that you are operating some sort of business and need a shed to do it, then you are a great step forward.

Good luck

See attached guide which covers this. If you find the planning act on Google, then Part 7 is pretty clear about what is permitted development. Sadly many councils don't seem to have read part 7!

"".... (in this case making wine into grapes) was an ancillary use to growing the raw material, and would therefore not need permission.........."

Im assuming that this is some form of typo, and not a requirement for magic powers

thanks for the help and advise, ive submitted my reply today so hopefully will hear back soon that i can start with building it under the forestry permited devolopment rules

good luck mate,, i spent 9months fighting them over being able to put a polly tunnel and a shed on my allotment,,but I dont remember them asking me whether i agreed to them putting 150 houses on the local cricket pitch, under There permitted development,,,,,,,one rule for them,, another for us!!!:thumbdown: