Ppe

JoBrown

Hi All

I was wondering if anyone knew where we stand as a company for PPE. All my guys have been supplied PPE but when or how long before it needs to be replaced?

We have been going on the basis of when it is worn and needs replacing we replace it. But with all the strict laws I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a time limit?

Will be great to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

Jo

Hi Jo,

No law as such, essentially HSE will refer you back to manufacturers recommendations regarding standard replacemnet periods or 'shelf life' (see guidance below.) Helmets are generally recommended for replacement every 3 years of sooner if manufacturer says so or subject to significnat incident.

If you are varying from this then potentially your are on 'thin ice', so to speak, and would need to have records of periodic inspection by a competent person concluding the PPE was still effective and 'fit for purpose'.

However, the old adage "if in doubt, throw it out", must be borne in mind.

Personal protective equipment at work (Second edition) - HSE Books See here for a copy of the full PPE ACOP (Approved Code of Practice whihc has 'quasi-legal' status, meaning you should adhere to it.)

Cheers..

Paul

PPE ACOP stmt(121218).docx

PPE(indg174).pdf

My old boss's policy was wait til the boots leaked really badly, then replace them 3 months later (over winter aswell). If the new boots we wanted were over £100 we had to put the extra money in ourselves.

oh and helmet wise, when the earmuffs no longer kept the noise of the chipper or saws out, wait a couple of months more.

Won't miss working there. Luckily the next boss was awesome.