Loosening Bar Nut on Husqvarna 435

rimo911s

I recently bought a brand new Husqvarna 435 from an online dealer in France where I live. I use the saw for cutting logs in the wood, no felling, mainly already fallen trees or existing logs that are too long for the wood burner.

I have a problem but am getting no response either from the dealer or from Husqvarna support.

I find that if I tighten the single bar nut too much, the chain will not run as it gets clamped too tightly by the clutch cover. I therefore have to loosen the bar nut until the chain will run. Is that right or am I doing something wrong in fitting the bar and chain?

Once running, after the saw is well warmed through and I have a few logs cut, the bar nut begins to rotate due to vibration and becomes so loose that the bar sags and the chain comes off. Too dangerous for my liking!:scared1:

Has anyone else had this problem or can anyone suggest a solution for me?

Thanks

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The tighness of the bar nuts should have very little effect on chain tension (within reason) There is something fundamentally wrong with either what u are doing or wrong with the saw. You dont menion if u are an experienced user so will assume u are not.... Is the chain tensioning screw and locating pawl fitted corectly. is the the correct type of chain to match the bar. The chain is fitted properly into the rails of the bar and onto the sprocket of the chainsaw clutch drum. New saws are supplied with plastic spacers on the bar bolts. Make sure these have been removed. If this doesnt resolve or no other suggestions from other users, do not use the saw in this condition. Take it to a local dealer to be inspected. Either to show u what u were doing wrong, or for them to fix it.

Sometimes when you do the bar nuts up, the chain has a tendency to tighten up, what needs to be done (after checking out what the previous poster said) is to loosen the chain a little more and pull upwards on the chain in the upper bar rail and do up the bar nut/nuts when doing this, if it is still to tight, back of the chain tension a little more and repeat until the chain turns freely, is a snug fit on the rails but doesn't hang off the bar. If you spin the chain round by hand, it should over-run a few inches and not stop dead.

The above overcomes the bar moving during use and tightening up after a few cuts.

Also check the oiler is Ok by revving the saw up with the bar nose sprocket a few inches off a light surface - fresh cut timber works, and look for oil coming off the bar and forming a witness mark of oil on the surface. Lack of oil can cause the chain to tighten significantly with use.

Do NOT run the saw with a loose bar nut - the chain may come off and seriously hurt you:thumbdown:

Is the saw on its correct chain?

It should have a 'narrow kerf' chain, that is to say that it runs on a narrow bar with a 1.3mm groove and a narrow chain to make a small, efficient, cut.

If by any chance a standard 1.3 chain is fitted it may cause your problem.

Just a thought.

Thanks for all the comments.

I have refitted the chain following the various suggestions but as soon as I get the bar nut tight and the chain tension right, the chain will not move. I have to slacken off the bar nut to get it to move.

I have attached some photos so perhaps someone can spot what I'm doing wrong or if there is something fundamentally wrong with the saw.

IMG_0929_8041.JPG.c045818d7250ba3838f77960e76e69a2.JPG

IMG_0936_8048.JPG.1ceb5ca742fc7dd446ba6686033a7eec.JPG

IMG_0935_8047.JPG.2cc069948adbca1bba3777bf8c0e978e.JPG

IMG_0931_8043.JPG.d223265065c9cef2be82700861ad34be.JPG

IMG_0930_8042.JPG.1fc9f3c61ba62f292591f7d732e65786.JPG

IMG_0926_8038.JPG.cfcbe885459ce739cf1d70c65b6d93d9.JPG

I've changed the chain to the original Husqvarna one that came with the saw (along with two spares, one of which is the one you can see in the photos and is indeed looks different).

Same issue I'm afraid - as soon as I tighten the bar nut, the chain won't turn - if I loosen it just enough so that the chain will turn, then I can see the bar nut starting to come loose as I rev the saw