Ground off serial number on ebay purchase

firegrass

A real difficult one, the seller should have made you aware that the saw had no serial numbers, it may have been stolen at sometime in its past, logic would tell you this.

I guess if the police can't put the saw back in the hands of the legit owner then you should be happy to use it but it may effect resale value.

Bit of a sod though, I had to inform a member on this site that his saw had no serials on it - he hadn't known in all the years he had owned it:blushing:

Definitely difficult. The serial filing is messy and very recent by the shine. So perhaps recently stolen or being 'cleaned' for resale after being used by someone knowing it's origin.

However with the serial number gone and the sprocket/clutch cover condition (bit broken off, half melted and badly warped!) which I don't think is "wear and tear", I've decided it's going back as "not as described" even if the police don't want to keep it.

And the icing on the cake I forgot to mention before... this fool shipped it with nearly a full tank of fuel!!!!

I have a large west coast saw that came through with the serial plate removed as those saws did not have a stamped number .Even so over the years if the saw or whatever would have had replacement parts the item could have a different or no number at all .

I don't know the laws in the UK but would assume if you had a form of a bill of sale it should suffice to relieve you of any legalities regarding stolen merchandise .

A bill of sale will go towards preventing prosecution for you knowingly handling stolen goods. It does not mean you get to keep the item as it was never the sellers to sell.

Yeah exactly, police could be watching this guys auctions even without me telling them, get my details, show up and take it at any time in the future. I'd be out of pocket, with very little (read: no) come back.

Like I say I have no idea about the laws in the UK .Common sense though would indicate it was stolen but could there be proof of same if the means of identification being the serial numbers are removed ?Now if there are edicts about removing serial numbers then it becomes another legal issue .

In the UK if the item is proven to be stolen then the buyer has the receipt to prove that he bought it in good faith he will not be prosecuted. However the saw is returned to the rightful owner which is not the person who bought it off Ebay. The buyer then looses his money and the saw. Thats how it is here in the UK.

The seller never had title to the item and therefore had no right to sell it.

Has happend quite a lot with cars.

Police turn up and inform the proud new owner that their new pride and joy os stolen and they take it away with them and return it to its real owner.