Stihl 250 for £10

Tribaltree

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you or someone you know can stick a new piston in it, it might be worth doing. The parts will cost around £80 from memory. If thats all it needs it could be worth doing, if its really knackered it will just end up costing you more than new one.

why get shot of it? if it's going to cost less to repair than to buy one on my student salary, I may aswell keep it.

I need a saw at the moment for low level work.

Yeah sorry, did,nt know you are a student. My experience with s/hand saws has not been very good. I like fiddling with engines to a degree and I am partial to the odd s/hand bargain or two, but on the whole i would always pump my money into new saws as opposed to s/hand. For me they have always been a false economy.

Since its only costing you a tenner and if you are handy with stripping saws down and rebuilding then its gotta be worth getting but as Stockers says you can start pumping serious dough into old saws with no return.

But for£10 it could be worth it even so you can find out how the thing works, you could easily sell it for more on ebay anyhow.

If it is only the piston and not the bore than it will be definitely worth a shot imo.

Just stripped it down and it looks like it has never been cleaned, given it a good scrub and getting the air compressor on it tomorrow. Everything else looks absolutly fine on the saw apart from a bit of filing down on the bar.

Going to get a bit more advice off my tutor about it aswell and see if he has any lying around I can take apart.

If it's just the piston it isn't alot of money for a new one, if it is the p&c then you're looking at £70ish. But you will need to find out why it is like it is, if it is just that it was straight gassed then it's an easy fix, but something else could be causing it Still worth doing, these saws are fetching £160-70 on ebay, so if you spend £70 on a new p&c presuming it needs both then clean it up and make it look a bit better and flog it on on ebay then hopefully get a good whack for it then you're quids in. Ebay isn't a true representation of what saws are worth, it i way over priced, which is a good thing if you're the seller. :) good look, get some pics up so we can see befores and afters.