?? This Oak needs your help ??

John Hancock

Just putting a draft letter together for the local residents, it'll go something like this.....

Dear resident,

Some of you may be aware that the large Oak tree situated on the green open space close to your property is subject to a fungal infection. I am writing today to inform you of its implications to you, the tree and its surrounding area.

The fungal infection is known as Inonotus dryadeus, it effects the main supporting root system of the host tree and can render it unstable. If the tree was on open pasture land (as it used to be before the Warndon development) this would not be such a problem, however given the close proximity of your property, footpaths and roads; action has to be taken in order to minimise risk and fulfil the council’s duty of care.

The options regarding the future management of the tree are…

Option 1

Undertake an extensive crown reduction in order to mitigate the presence of decay within the rooting system.

Option 2

Remove the tree completely and plant three replacement Oak trees.

Option 1 has the advantage of being less drastic that total removal. In time the tree will become host to various flora and fauna due to the exposed wood from the large pruning wounds. It is hoped that in time, a new crown will develop and some amenity value will be kept. There is however a risk that due to the loss of photosynthetic area and reduction in stored energy the tree would not survive.

Option 2 has the advantage of removing all risk to people and property. The replacement trees would be as large as possible and in time become established in the new urban landscape, supporting their own flora and fauna. We are fortunate that in the Dover Avenue area there are several other mature Oak trees which are, at the moment defect and pathogen free.

I would appreciate your time in considering the above options and would welcome your views and opinions on the matter.

I am best contacted via e-mail, my address is as follows..

[email protected]

Kind regards,

John Hancock.

Senior Arborist, Worcester City Council.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just putting a draft letter together for the local residents, it'll go something like this.....

The options regarding the future management of the tree are…

Option 1

Undertake an extensive crown reduction in order to mitigate the presence of decay within the rooting system.

John, You might want to consider revising the wording on Option 1 with something along these lines:

"Undertake an extensive crown reduction in order to mitigate the reduced stability created by the decaying root system."

Just a thought.

Dave

John, You might want to consider revising the wording on Option 1 with something along these lines:

"Undertake an extensive crown reduction in order to mitigate the reduced stability created by the decaying root system."

Just a thought.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I've already re-worded some of it - seems 'mitigate' is too longer word for the natives of Worcester! :001_smile:

Sorry to put this on your thread john but i thought it fitted in here i wonder what members SULE reports would be for this tree it stands in a meadow with a footpath passing near but not close to the tree. the thing is it is not usefull for timber but is very important for habbitat.:001_smile:

I would appreciate your time in considering the above options and would welcome your views and opinions on the matter.

I am best contacted via e-mail, my address is as follows..

[/i]

Have you got a time scale in mind for replies? or can they get back to you in 6 months - might wind up people if they unknowingly miss the boat?

Just a thought.

Sorry to put this on your thread john but i thought it fitted in here i wonder what members SULE reports would be for this tree it stands in a meadow with a footpath passing near but not close to the tree. the thing is it is not usefull for timber but is very important for habbitat.:001_smile:

Thats a lovely tree, with a tale or two to tell I bet! I'd keep it. :001_smile:

• 1 year later...

Hi John, great thread, missed this one till now so give you my thoughts, better late than never!

Firstly to those that think this has any resemblance to Merripilus (more common on oak than you are led to believe) or Grifola need to concentrate on thier fruit body ident!

Secondly, Inonotus Dryadeus does decay above ground level, a cone shaped cavity is often left in trees that overcome Inonotus dryadeus, as well as having a stilt like root form as the fungus decays the underside of the roots generaly, though can in a stressed/drought etc scenario become more aggressive.

the tree lacks the tip die back asscociated with late progressive stages of the fungus suggesting thier is a great deal of intact root structure and functionality. For marcus this would show as good white areas to the upper root surfaces!

I would leave the tree be till die back began then reduce a few meters inside the line of obvious die back as and when. Too much foliage removal now will shock the tree and give the Inonotus the weakened state it reqiures to overun defences.