It's Quad Bike Time Again

Sorry it's the foreman 400, may think of trx420 or trx500 now. My last quad trx350 was bomb proof. I am just a little worried about all those electrics.

Dobin, hill is near vertical in places with no run off as at bottom is a deer fence followed by drop onto house. There is one very steep old footpath which joins only flat bit which is a footpath 3ft wide. Not allowed tracked machines due to SSSI status. I did think of Lewis winch as an alternative as would come out same price but due to steepness I may want to lower some of the branches with quad winch. When I last had the quad when it was used it was invaluable but did not have a lot of space then so was first on the list of things to get rid of. Now got more space so storage is not a problem.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd never have an ES again, it's the Achilles heel of the bike. I've changed about six of the sender units so far, the first two under warranty, the rest at my expense, sometimes they will last abut ten hours, the current one is now up to about 100 hrs. It's got to the stage that I carry a spare sender unit, ridiculous. Next tme it would be a FA or FM for sure. The sender unit is in a very prone place to catch as much moisture as possible, whether driving through water or even wet grass it will flash the fault code. This time it's packed with waterproofing grease to try and protect it, and is why it still works IMO.

Sorry it's the foreman 400, may think of trx420 or trx500 now. My last quad trx350 was bomb proof. I am just a little worried about all those electrics.

Dobin, hill is near vertical in places with no run off as at bottom is a deer fence followed by drop onto house. There is one very steep old footpath which joins only flat bit which is a footpath 3ft wide. Not allowed tracked machines due to SSSI status. I did think of Lewis winch as an alternative as would come out same price but due to steepness I may want to lower some of the branches with quad winch. When I last had the quad when it was used it was invaluable but did not have a lot of space then so was first on the list of things to get rid of. Now got more space so storage is not a problem.

No matter how vertical the hill, you will end up dragging the brances down, not lowering them, trust me :001_rolleyes: PLus an electric winch is really not the thing for the job. Look at the specs on the link you posted- "Duty cycle: intermittant" That basically means only to recover the quad when you really need it.

Are you sure re no tracked machines? My current site is a SSSI and tracks do less damage than wheels especially in the wet, and are the preferred option. Operator training re turning is key, don't let them screw the machines around. if you only have a 3 foot footpath to work from, then depending upon length of contract perhaps hire or buy a pedestrian tracked dumper. They weigh only 300 kilos or so, carry all your tools far easier than a quad, and barely scratch the surface on their rubber tracks. You can hire one for forty quid a day to test it, and week rates are as little as £100. I use screw in studs on my rubber tracked digger, it just bites in and goes with no mess.

With a drop of rain, your quad towing a trailer full of tools is going to scrabble it's way up the steep footpath churning everything up. That simply won't happen with a tracked dumper.

If you want to chat just PM me, I'd be happy to speak with your reserve managers and give them our very positive experiences of using tracked machines on similar ground.

Hope this helps. Seriously, you're barking up the wrong tree with a quad and electric winch, I've been there and would never go back.

I'd never have an ES again, it's the Achilles heel of the bike. I've changed about six of the sender units so far, the first two under warranty, the rest at my expense, sometimes they will last abut ten hours, the current one is now up to about 100 hrs. It's got to the stage that I carry a spare sender unit, ridiculous. Next tme it would be a FA or FM for sure. The sender unit is in a very prone place to catch as much moisture as possible, whether driving through water or even wet grass it will flash the fault code. This time it's packed with waterproofing grease to try and protect it, and is why it still works IMO.

You must be the one Andy.... :001_tongue: There's a photo of you on the wall at Swindon..... :lol::lol:

Hi Boobin, where are you based as may want to look at tracks in the future. I have decided that electric winch is not needed so will get a Lewis instead. The quad will have other duties in the future as well so worth while investment. I have ordered bike should be picking it up at end of week will post pictures when I pick it up. I was hoping to use horses for the job but is just not feasible now as weren't granted the permission to use extra land that I hoped. Thanks for everyone's help in making the decision for me.

Sam

Working on the South Downs near Chichester at the moment mate. Like I say, the little dumpers are cheap enough to hire as a try before you buy, that's what I'd do. But if your passing for any reason your more than welcome to come and have a play with my kit!

andy what do you mean by the seander units and what is the bike

i know whar you mean we have had a fare few 450FM and a 450ES and when i was looking at second hand 450 and noticed that the ES were far better in 1st gear (not jumpy) than the manual, and i put it do to the fact that the bike wount force the gears. but thats the only thing i like about the ES they good at stopping people that are hard on gear boxes