How long did it take for your advertising to kick in?

YoGi_93

I have done leaflet drops in the past and it works not vast amounts but 5% ish.

My main advert is in the local info magazine comes out once a month about £35 per month not too bad results.

The bulk of my work is from word of mouth repeat jobs and website.

Just stick with it the better known you get the more work you will get over time.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can you tell if advertising is worth it...?

Well I have a client form I fill in with all pertinant details upon EACH ENQUIRY.

Thats right EACH ENQUIRY because you must measure the ones who got away.

I ask how they heard of us and if it was word of mouth, the from whoam they got our name. Its not the third degree by any means and takes seconds to ask.

Some clients will not know how, they just know you existed before they seached your number.

With this I can count the number of clients brought various adverts.

Each advert should cost NO MORE than 10% of the gross take.

Ideally, 5% or less.

Many we run are at 3.75%

Harder to measure is the result of van sign writing and your subliminal presence over the years, continuity and a general feeling you are a stable reputable business.

Give advertising a budget of between 5% for established businesses and 10%+ for new ones under 3 years.

There are lean periods when certain adverts give nothing back THEN... a big fish is landed which makes up for weeks/months of no enquiries from that advert.

One unusual advert we use are our cards and a bag of handmade chocolates at Xmas given or sent to other gardeners or arbs with smaller machinery and also local suppliers to whoam Joe Public turn to for recommendations from time to time.

One thing is for sure, if you don't have a web presence then you are effectively hamstrung these days so get that organised.

Regards

Ty