Firewood sideline - does this sound like a reasonable plan?

Big J

Ecotreecare - building a larger copy of my current kiln. I use a heat recovery system. I've been through a few different methods including dehumidifiers and heat vent, but like the simplicity of the heat recovery unit. Cheap to run too. There would be no outlay for the project at all - I would have to build the crates as the pallet crates I have at the moment are a bit too chunky and not very robust. However, I have loads of spruce at 3 inches thick that I can resaw, so they would be practically free. The splitter is bought and paid for, the kiln would be primarily for sawn timber and I've excess yard space I could store crates in. No outlay at all.

Mr Ming - I would have to factor in haulage, yes. Quite a reasonable amount of local supply though. I was quoted £28 a tonne this morning though by Scottish Woodlands, which I thought was a bit steep. However, the site is only 5 miles from my yard, so haulage would be peanuts.

I would imagine people have more experience of softwood as you go further north and therefore more accepting. I am sure logs are good business in some areas but I have kept the price to £80 a metre for 2 winters now as people around me are doing 3 cu metre loads for £140. If I could get £120 a metre I may have carried on. The beech timber I am selling cost me £35 a tonne 2 years ago and even at that I dont see the point. Softwood delivered in for £35 a tonne is nuts and it has only reached that price because of all the subsidies to the big boys. There will be a shortage of hardwood this winter because none has been cut because they cant get £55 a tonne for it. I was looking for softwood to turn into kindling but was quoted £35 a tonne road side by the time I plank it cross cut it and kindle it may as well stay indoors with feet up :001_smile: Plan B is poplar at roadside for £15 a tonne but needs to be around 18" in diameter.

J I would think about shopping around for some ash as its more desirable and may take less to dry out as its drier to begin with. Putting your efforts in to a more premium material to begin with may show a better return at the end and its not alot more money to start with.

Face cord - yes, like that, but much smaller. I have a Vent Axia unit that moves around 200m2 an hour, which I calculate should get reasonably green larch down to 20-25% in around 10 days at a cost of £7 a cubic metre.

Steve - my experience with Ash as a sawn timber is that it isn't a quick drying timber at all. Sycamore and lime would be my hardwood choices for rapid drying. I do like the idea of Poplar though, however it's hard to find up here.

A thought regarding the quote at £28 a tonne is that I think the estate is FSC accredited, which might be useful in marketing.

If the only real outlay is buying in a wgon load of wood to get started then what harm is ther in giving it a go :thumbup1:

I do like Tom D's idea though.

p.s - got yew cut/shaped etc and first coat of oil into it; it's really come alive now :thumbup1:

Tom's idea is fine, but I have a plentiful supply of wood over here. I actually quite like processing firewood too!

Glad to hear that the yew is looking good - would love to see some photos if you get a moment.

Face cord - yes, like that, but much smaller. I have a Vent Axia unit that moves around 200m2 an hour, which I calculate should get reasonably green larch down to 20-25% in around 10 days at a cost of £7 a cubic metre.

Steve - my experience with Ash as a sawn timber is that it isn't a quick drying timber at all. Sycamore and lime would be my hardwood choices for rapid drying. I do like the idea of Poplar though, however it's hard to find up here.

A thought regarding the quote at £28 a tonne is that I think the estate is FSC accredited, which might be useful in marketing.

I bought a stack of lime 2 years ago for £250 it filled a 17 tonne lorry and 3 big ifor trailers. So about 24 tonnes. I thought I had bought trouble but when it dried out I tried it on our stove. For the first few minutes a pronounced woody smell but then I would say it burnt as well and for as long as any beech I have had. Ash tends to be half dried when you get it so you get good volume for the weight. If left in the cord for 3 years I find it does not season at all. I find sycamore hard on the eyes but nice to cut up can go black if seasoned outside ideal I would think in a kiln.

Tom's idea is fine, but I have a plentiful supply of wood over here. I actually quite like processing firewood too!

Glad to hear that the yew is looking good - would love to see some photos if you get a moment.

Know what you mean - I used to quite enjoy doing logs and have thought about doing them again but it's a whole different world since I did.

Will do, have taken some already but was going to get some of it in place once it's had 2 more coats of oil and will fire them through together :thumbup1: