Generator advice required

D.M.Taylor Firewood Supp

Evening folks!Looking at purchasing a fuelwood kindlet pro in a few months time.Problem i have is there 3 phase & i dont have access to 3 phase so im gonna go down the generator root.I need help with what size generator to purchase machine is 7.5kw so what size generator do i need id rather have extra kva available to allow spare power to possibly run other machines at the same time if required.

Any help appreciated as already asked two electricians on the shooting field to no avail!!

I dont know if 3 phase requirements match that of single phase.

Also will be looking for a decent generator if anybody knows of one cheers Darren.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be interested to hear peoples views, as I am in the same boat as well, currently using a single phase pto generator. I will in the near future be planning to purchase a 3 phase kindling machine as well as running other 3 phase motors. I am considering mounting a 3 litre transit engine onto 2 RSJ's and run these through a David Brown back end/gearbox. I would like to try and run the engine on LPG as I have heard that Diesel engines gum up due to not being worked hard. I would appreciate any comments or criticisms that people have . I cannot justify 5K at the moment on a self contained generator.

The momentary startup load on electric motors is far more than their rated running kw.

Also for example, a fluorescent light may run at 30w but may need 150w draw on startup, so if you have a bank of 20 lights it's a fair old startup current

If I was running a 2kw motor I would buy a 4kw genny

Also need to allow a bit more if you have a long cable run

Edited by Dean Lofthouse

The momentary startup load on electric motors is far more than their rated running kw.

Also for example, a fluorescent light may run at 30w but may need 150w draw on startup, so if you have a bank of 20 lights it's a fair old startup current

If I was running a 2kw motor I would buy a 4kw genny

Also need to allow a bit more if you have a long cable run

Thanks Dean i understand what your saying never thought about the length of lead cheers