another short edit with the go pro..Machine assisted fell...

Dilz

Who needs Wedges???

(note i am already aware that my thumb is in the wrong place and that my saw could be sharper for the cut and all the other little things that every one will point out :001_tt2: ) ENJOY!

Edited by Dilz

Fancy. I always prefer to use a forwarder when doing such things as a grapple weights so much less than a head.

Is there any reason why the harvester couldn't of taken it? I read your description and saw the lean but i've pushed worse offenders over doing double and triple cuts.

I liked it a lot though. wish i got to do things like that more often.

Yeah it's nicer with the forwarder - except the fowarder is clearing behind the machine, which meant that it was 1km away and on the other side of the tracks. The people who make up the rules for the project are a bit nuts. one of the rules is that a machine has to be able to take the tree in a single cut. They come out and check the stumps. This driver has been warned about it before. Also the live lines make people cautious. It costs a lot of money as you have to pay up until all the trains are back on schedule and for the freight trains thats a lot! as it delays delivery, mucks up shipping, we a are talking serious money, and if the driver hasnt followed the project safety rules, well insurances dont like that. Also you cock up, you put the other 30 - 50 guys working on the stretch out of work for a month whilst there is an investigation, also the driver is banned from going near a machine for a given time. (usually 2 months) and it doesn't look good on the CV. same happens if you are a cutter of climber, so people er on the side of caution - and its by the hour and not by volume, so there is no excuse - oh and another thing is that forest trees cant be left as stand alone for more than 8 hours, so we cant leave them till the forwarder catches up. The harvesters do make me a little nervous, a lot is down to the driver. They usually have the blade on auto. so when they hit the button, it goes out full - one driver nearly killed my mate by hitting the button by mistake, dropped a rather large spruce less than one meter past his head...some of them area bit ADHD...cant sit still.

Is it a JD1270?

They do seem like some sensible rules though. I'm not sure i'd of closed my rollers on the tree though I'd of just pushed.

I do have a handy cutting tip for you though. When i do forwarder/harvester assisted fells i do the face bore in half the tree width and come out the back. Then i cut out the other half but about 1/2-1" lower than the other cut making a step (bit like a split level). That means you can get well clear before giving the driver the ok to push. If its got a big back lean i'd put the head on it after the first half of the tree was out.

• 2 weeks later...

your right its a JD1270 - we are meant to do use what we call the safety corner cut, bore the hinge and come back leaving the last quarter as holding, get the final ok, and then a quick cut and scarper, though there has been instances of over keen machine drivers busting this last quarter so we tend to just fan cut. a lot depends on the trees and the situation. THough now we have to winch the machine assisted trees over now which takes ages...