Some seasoning results

gensetsteve

Yes you are right not exactly accurate and nothing is 100 % they came from the same plank. Yes it could be tried again.

My office is not heated and the sticks were only on the boiler lit once for approx 6-8 hrs during the two weeks. The bag of sticks were 38% when put on shelf in barn and now two weeks later the whole bag is recording 20% . I would expect the shelf bag to be higher and the cooked sticks to be bone dry ? surprised me if it keeps my interest I will get more anally scientific and have another go.

What do you think would be an easier test. Leave one bag in wind one in container ?

What's happening here, Steve, is to do with moisture in the air. Because your office is unheated, and I would imagine it isn't the world's draughtiest place either, the air is probably quite damp. One quick warm up session isn't going to counter two weeks of that.

Do you get a lot of condensation in that office of yours?

On the other hand, the shelf in the barn is in a draughty environment so the air around the sticks - into which they shed the moisture - is getting constantly changed.

The principle here is that two things dry wood (or clothes, people, whatever): warmth AND low relative humidity. That's where a well-ventilated polytunnel scores - it warms the air (lowering the RH as it does) and allows a change of air around the logs (removing the now-high-RH air). If it was not well-ventilated the air around them would get saturated (RH=100%) and it wouldn't matter how warm it got, they wouldn't season.

Barns score on ventilation, but not warmth. A well-sealed shed or tarpauling fails on both - hence the mouldy, wet logs they produce.

Hope this helps folks...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What's happening here, Steve, is to do with moisture in the air. Because your office is unheated, and I would imagine it isn't the world's draughtiest place either, the air is probably quite damp. One quick warm up session isn't going to counter two weeks of that.

On the other hand, the shelf in the barn is in a draughty environment so the air around the sticks - into which they shed the moisture - is getting constantly changed.

The principle here is that two things dry wood (or clothes, people, whatever): warmth AND low relative humidity. That's where a well-ventilated polytunnel scores - it warms the air (lowering the RH as it does) and allows a change of air around the logs (removing the now-high-RH air). If it was not well-ventilated the air around them would get saturated (RH=100%) and it wouldn't matter how warm it got, they wouldn't season.

Barns score on ventilation, but not warmth. A well-sealed shed or tarpauling fails on both - hence the mouldy, wet logs they produce.

Hope this helps folks...

I would agree with all of the above. Its just common sense really.

Yes especially now the roof leaks into a bucket.

I give those sticks another ride on the wood burner yesterday and now they are now so dry cant get a reading, one ride still 30% two rides and they have gone black on the ends . Meter still seems to tell the truth on everything else though.

As you say coomon sense, it just surprised me how quick they dropped this time of year in the wind.