Hamadryad- trees, ecology & FUNGI!

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

I free-climbed them all extensively in my youth. I recognised them immediately.

Hope you're keeping an eye on them for me- I'm a long way from them now.

They need a little help, they are getting so much foot traffic through over the rootplates, some have even failed because of it:thumbdown:

It need an elevated decking pathway put through it, thought about startng some kind of project to fund it and propose it to site managers.

I wouldnt want to stop anyone going there, just enable them and the trees to enjoy eachother in harmony

A ... little Ganoderma resinaceum

Fill on the flare and fungal activity: a frequent combination in urban trees. :thumbdown: Thanks for posting though; got me looking into G. species. What is typically called lucidum here i have been questioning, because on many the top is not very shiny. Turns out that curtisii and resinaceum are nearly identical and both are quite indistinguishable with lucidum without going down to the DNA level. he calls them all "laccate" and moves on.

The interesting part to an arborist is that Sinclair notes conks have been observed on q rubra for over 30 years with no effect on crown health. work with resistance in infected seedlings also throws the whole concept of "pathogenicity" into question. :confused1:

They need a little help, they are getting so much foot traffic through over the rootplates, some have even failed because of it:thumbdown:

It need an elevated decking pathway put through it,

I get a bit nervous at this prospect, given the damage that installing posts can do...what about 6" of shaggy mulch?

Fill on the flare and fungal activity: a frequent combination in urban trees. :thumbdown: Thanks for posting though; got me looking into G. species. What is typically called lucidum here i have been questioning, because on many the top is not very shiny. Turns out that curtisii and resinaceum are nearly identical and both are quite indistinguishable with lucidum without going down to the DNA level. he calls them all "laccate" and moves on.

The interesting part to an arborist is that Sinclair notes conks have been observed on q rubra for over 30 years with no effect on crown health. work with resistance in infected seedlings also throws the whole concept of "pathogenicity" into question. :confused1:

its a SYN:001_rolleyes:

you might wanna see G. oregenense too for the redwoods out your neck of the woods, also of the resinaceum lucidum looking persuasion

http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/plantpath/activities/labs-projects/myherb/Documents/profiles/Ganoderma%20curtisii%20Murr.pdf

its a SYN"

Respectfully, Sinclair/Lyon found genetic differences, while i do not know if my old professor dr. grand (a great teacher btw) did dna sequencing.

thanks for citing a paper from my old U though; :thumbup1: still work at their arboretum now and then.

you might wanna see G. oregenense too for the redwoods out your neck of the woods, also of the resinaceum lucidum looking persuasion

well my neck is not that long; that's 3000 miles away. :001_tongue:

its a SYN"

Respectfully, Sinclair/Lyon found genetic differences, while i do not know if my old professor dr. grand (a great teacher btw) did dna sequencing.

thanks for citing a paper from my old U though; :thumbup1: still work at their arboretum now and then.

well my neck is not that long; that's 3000 miles away. :001_tongue:

I reckon in time many of these genetic differences will be revealed to be diversification within local populations, host adaptations over millenia. I note Stamets found differences in certain strains of Grifola frondosa, some difficult to culture on media, suspect this is where a few strains have become dependant on living hosts. So fascinating them fungi, I mean imagine giving up your saprotrophic lifestyle/skills to become entirely mycorrhizal, like the Amanitas.:001_cool:

If there is a niche, the fungi will find it first!