Bloody Rob D

DN22 Gardening

50 inch bar - £250 or thereabouts

Mill extensions - £100 or so

Chains x 2 - £100

Aux oiling kit - £50

Total - £500

Revenue from first 3ft 6" diameter 10ft oak log slabbed at 2 inch sold at £15 a cubic foot (fairly cheap) - £1134

You know it makes sense!

i planked some oak messed about and got offered not much more than logs so i logged the other oak logs they were 10ft long and about 24inch diameter cant see the point in milling.:(

i wish i could find customers that werenot tight arses

i planked some oak messed about and got offered not much more than logs so i logged the other oak logs they were 10ft long and about 24inch diameter cant see the point in milling.:(

i wish i could find customers that werenot tight arses

They are out there, trust me!

I've got an order drying at the moment that came through this week. He's a good and regular professional furniture making customer, and he's taking 36-40 cubic foot of kiln dried ash at £28 a cube plus VAT. If you can produce a high quality board (you need to be reasonably picky with your logs), the customers are out there. The professional furniture makers are the best customers as they spend less time mulling over boards and spend 5 times as much as the hobby carpenter.

The approach I've taken is to use a lot of wood myself and consider the savings, plus I enjoy it.

There's only so much furniture a house can take, but sheds, log-store, garden stuff (compost heap, decking, trellis etc) all adds up. If you ever build an extension that can save a fortune. The above doesn't need a fine finish or extreme dimensional accuracy (ever measured timber at a builder's merchants?) The main thing is durable timber (and use hardwood for anything that comes under building regs) - stick to oak, sweet chestnut, robinia or cedar (or yew if you're prepared to face the wrath of others!) and use heartwood only.

I reckon I've saved a very significant amount over the years, and it doesn't rely on preservative treatments either. It just means keeping a thought of what you might want to use something for so when it comes along you know what size to cut to, and then having somewhere to store it if you're not doing it immediately.

Alec