alaskan

cosworth

Im after some advice fellas got loads of oak to mill that won't fit on my logosol the stuff is about 3 and half feet wide and 8ft long also got some ash and sycamore the same size what setup do I need i have a 372xp 390xp but i have a feeling they might be abit small,would i need a 3120?

Realistically you wouldn't want to do it with the saws you have.

By my reckoning the 372xp is 75cc (i.e. about like an 044) and the 390xp is 88cc (i.e. a bit smaller than an 066).

I've milled 3' with the 066. It's not fun. With a perfectly uniform chain (see current thread on grinders!) you can live with it. If you're prepared to skim the sides off to get it down to a cant around 32" then you could just about do it with the 390xp I would have thought. I would be inclined to get a skip tooth chain (if you can find one in 3/8" - Rob D may be getting some?). It might be bearable if you are going to break the logs down into say quarters and then do the remainder of the milling on the Logosol.

Otherwise a 3120, or an 075/076/070/084/088/090 would be my suggestion.

Alec

• 2 weeks later...
i use a 3120 with a 60 bar and 56 rails on my alsakan nothing wrong with running with a husqy but gotta watch out for overheating but thats the same as stihl.

Never had an issue with overheating with the 088. The first kiln I filled I milled solidly for 7 days straight by myself without any hiccup. In all the hundreds of hours I've spent chainsaw milling, it's only ever once required workshop attention.

That's the 088 Big J - I've had a few problems with the MS880 - you have to make sure it gets cooled off as you're milling as after 12 months it seems to develop idling problems and doesn't hold low revs that well.... the older 088 and 08 seem to be more solid beasts that just go on and on!