CS40, is it really worth it?

ChrisG

have beens asked once for CS40 by LA. I said, why don't you ask for photo's of recent crown reductions instead of having a ticket for a one or two day pruning course?. If you are inexperienced, yes its worth it. That said, I know blokes who have been doing reductions for 10 years...and they are still awful! :blushing:

:lol::lol: great sense of humour arbo !!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All my work is done to BS 3998 standards Born2trot, if there are other industry standards, I have never been asked to work to them?

If I can get the two courses at the price you did them for, I will do them together, but I haven't found them at that price. Where did you do them?

All my work is done to BS 3998 standards Born2trot, if there are other industry standards, I have never been asked to work to them?

If I can get the two courses at the price you did them for, I will do them together, but I haven't found them at that price. Where did you do them?

Hi Chris , i wasnt trying to be a smart arse there , ive no doubt you work to industry best practise. i'm just trying to say how subjective this may be . NO MORE than 15% volume for crown thinning . I disagree that you stick to that religiously as a tree surgeon ... i dont .. Do you know what that looks like cut on the ground ? It would surprise you how little it looks . Do the course if you can would be my shout .

I did my training with Eastec in Norfolk , great value for money and top tutors imo.

have beens asked once for CS40 by LA. I said, why don't you ask for photo's of recent crown reductions instead of having a ticket for a one or two day pruning course?. If you are inexperienced, yes its worth it. That said, I know blokes who have been doing reductions for 10 years...and they are still awful! :blushing:

I had the same treatment from the LA, had to present my knowledge and rant on about fractals - cleared the air and job done. :thumbup:

Hi everyone I fully agree with everyone as I have worked for ages with no tickets 6 years and only got em this year I also found out loads I didn't know and same again a subject I was confident and learnt more then I thought I would!

So the tickets are good especially in a day and age where qualifications are abundent and from a point of more learning, it's the flippin price there ain't many firms willing to pay for them so makes it hard but worth it in my experience just try get them all.

Plus makes you worth more!!!!

Industry standards are so subjective imo, I always feel it's best to do what looks best for the individual tree and its management, also do the best for the client depending on what their needs are :thumbup:

Don't get me wrong gents, I would love to do all the tickets to keep clients/employers happy, but money and all that.

if you ahev a limited budget i'd go for 41 from a safety perspective. i have 40 and learn't a lot more on the job and keeping up with best practice and different techniques. Good basic rigging is essential for safety. This includes staff on the ground I always get a groundie to attend the training course so they are fully clued up on supporting the climber correctly and effectively to a simular system and standard. Often the training provider will not charge for this as an extra. (no assessment for the groundie only piece of mind). I leant simple but invaluable techniques that allows safe rigging and lowering with very basic kit, you can then add to your repertoire as your confidence and bank balance increases for gadgets you will use 10 times prior to having to scrap it as its out of it LOLER safe working life....

Good advice Mark :thumbup:

I have learned plenty on the CS courses, but once you are out there, it's a different kettle of fish. I appreciate why we need to do these certs, but one or two have just been box ticking exercises that give you a piece of paper to let you go out and really start learning in the field. And lets face it, they aren't cheap.

depends where you want to head, tickets are usually good things to get, i know folks who can dismantle who cant prune at all, and i mean not for toffee, one lad i know hacked a massive limb half way out on a lime tree for a thin....but he could dismantle, alright he broke lots of stuff when doing it....hang on, na he was just pants at the job....if you can afford em, do em.... If you want to go for employment, it helps, if it helps build your skills its good, if you are self employed as a subby, well your skills need to be top so it could help, if you are chasing after contracts outside private gardens its good.

also ... i've been jammy and not paid for any of my cs tickets, got 30, 31, 40 41 and a shed load of others that cost me nothing.... well not in money but certainly in low wages, blood sweat and long hard days. If you are lucky you may find an employer willing to put you through, though be prepared to sign to a commitment of a year or two or more, so make sure you like where you are at