my hedgetrimmer, aspen and 2 stroke

daveindales

I have a Husqvarna 123 HD65 hedgetrimmer. It's about 3 years old and for the last year Iv'e only used aspen fuel in it. Anyway, my aspen ran out so I went back to normal 2 stroke. I like the aspen, and was just being reminded of the horrid fumes, when after a couple of tanks of 2 stroke, the engine suddenly died. My local dealer says the piston has had it, but the barrel is ok, so new piston and ring. There is nothing wrong with my chainsaw mix, as I have been using it all week for chainsaws, with nothing going wrong.

Now, I'm not blaming any petrol or petrol mix, but does it seem a bit odd or just a coincidence that the damage was done just after changing back to 2 stroke.

As Old Mill Tree care says, must be coincidence, just one of those things.

I would love to be able to blame the evil petrol for this, but can see no logical reason why.

Very occasionally, when changing TO Aspen, I need to very slightly richen the L screw. This would mean that when swapped to petrol it would be running a little rich at tick over and may stall, but a rich mixture wont cause damage.

Diaphragms that have been run with Aspen for years will be as good as new. Petrol will start to damage them, but VERY SLOWLY, certainly not in a couple of tanks, and even if damaged would be unlikely to cause engine damage.

More likely that the change over coincides with an air leak developing, possibly the carb, or insulator, retaining bolts, or the pot itself coming loose. I do see quite a few of these.

A weak mixture results and if not spotted quickly a lean sieze results.

Coincidence and don't trust the dealer. Look at the piston rings yourself (then send it to Spudulike anyway )

Can't see that the changed would affect the piston. I've had problems with carb diaphragms when changing back but that's easily fixed.

I know what you mean about dealers, but lets just say this is someone who I trust