Girdled roots

David Humphries

Nothing at all. Crowns are full and healthy.

to be expected; nothing too bad in those pics.

root-girdling roots are seldom an issue. the tree broke the stem-girdling root in that pic; nice work, tree! :thumbup:

Cut up a windblown sugar maple today, half the circumference was girdled, 2' wide tree too, with a large healthy crown, I was surprised such a healthy tree was girdled to that extent!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Noted that Gary Watson carried some study around Norway maples and girding in one of the cited works earlier in this thread.

(Regeneration of girdling roots after removal - by G Watson and S Clark)

made me think of looking at this eroded Norway maple root plate whilst passing today.

lots of surface secondary roots crossing over (and partialy grafting on to) primary roots.

597664ebdcff9_IMG_2895-Copy.jpg.af3ca0d28b16f093167d289f2138ce39.jpg

IMG_2895.jpg.19f23a9406ffab0012f7b911f56a2611.jpg

IMG_2894.jpg.859aa9330a39ec80e9a54d227e996ea3.jpg

IMG_2897.jpg.5be10ce96c1bf097dd9e7b73e5778f3b.jpg

I guess its no real suprise that when you start looking with connective glasses on, girdles, dysfunction & decay are often heavily associated.

had a look at this tree today on a bat inspection, no resinaceum fruiting as yet.

But in these 2 old shots from 2010 you can clearly see (although nearly out of shot in the portrait) the 'girlder' I wasn't focussing on at the the time :001_rolleyes:

IMG_4811.jpg.6bf9c3f11d95a9e964161eff2e6020de.jpg

IMG_4366.jpg.9a5b242ca3f830bbf6c9ee93cf453c95.jpg

Spotted this girdled Chestnut yesterday. Crown has dieback and numerous large crown lift wounds from the past with Silverleaf from ground to wound 2m up. Black exudate and bark splitting, possible armillaria?

Tree is situated in busy public park and have a feeling TO is monitoring.

Interesting shots

I have seen both Chondrostereum & Armillaria at play together, here on a chestnut that didn't show any grade level girdlers

(who knows what was going on underground !)

Wouldn't rule out bleeding canker on either of these trees though.

DSC03339.jpg.5b934c8c467b0f04c3fa2914087ff294.jpg

DSC03341.jpg.1fb273af4776f46b4a018aeadbdd1c4f.jpg

DSC03337.jpg.d7419faf239b1146ebb18e08a84062be.jpg

Thanks David, photos aren't great as taken with phone but the more I think about it bleeding canker might seem more lightly for the exudate.

Are fruiting bodies from Armillaria normally produced later or may they be present in the early stages of infection? What was the course of action with tree above that lost a limb?

W