Chain blunting on 1x37

woodworm

I have a problem with my Hakki Pilke 1X37.

I sharpen the chain and for a couple of cuts its fine, then over the next 10/12 cuts it gets really blunt and looks as though the top of the teeth are hitting on something. I cant see what it can be hitting and the chain is good and taught. When I release the handle after each cut, the saw housing sounds like it hits the stop with a real thud, should there be some sort of softer 'stop' that it should hit or is it supposed to hit the metal stop. I wonder whether when it hits the metal stop, the chain is lifting from the bar and possibly catching something but i cant see what :confused1:

Any help would be really appreciated

Woodworm

Are u usein the right size bar ??? Could it be hitting the housing of the oil tank ?? ?? I'm sure you can adjust the travel of the bar if it's hitting the tank somewhere . I down loaded the operatIng manual . or is your wood really dirty ie soil sand etc that will quickly blunt a chain or nails in the wood etc .. not tryin to teach grandma to suck eggs but . Clean wood makes a big difference in my opinion .. also when offering the bar to the log take it easy ie don't hit the wood (snatching) as this won't do the bar and chain any good either . Can't think of much else ... hope that's of some help .

i'm sure if the chain was hitting something you would see it. Did you initially hit something and strip all the chrome off the tooth by any chance? This would cause it to blunt straight away again

Thanks Steve

I will check that on Saturday when i next go to it, hadn't noticed that but then again hadn't thought of it either. Don't recall having hit anything particularly, but it is a possibility

Are u usein the right size bar ??? Could it be hitting the housing of the oil tank ?? ?? I'm sure you can adjust the travel of the bar if it's hitting the tank somewhere . I down loaded the operatIng manual . or is your wood really dirty ie soil sand etc that will quickly blunt a chain or nails in the wood etc .. not tryin to teach grandma to suck eggs but . Clean wood makes a big difference in my opinion .. also when offering the bar to the log take it easy ie don't hit the wood (snatching) as this won't do the bar and chain any good either . Can't think of much else ... hope that's of some help .

Hi Bulklog

I've been using that bar and chain for about a lorry load and its been fine until now. I dont think its hitting the oil tank but will recheck next time. the wood is all stacked on bearers so is pretty clean.

Thanks for your advice

Its always worth getting someone else's opinion cos you think you've checked everything and usually someone else comes up with the obvious solution which was right under your nose in the first place.

Do the teeth look mullered or does the bar just not want to cut through the log ?

Bar needs a real lot of pressure to get it through the log, the teeth are certainly not knackered, but as Steve said maybe the chrome has come off without me realising

Cheers

Woodworm

Bar needs a real lot of pressure to get it through the log, the teeth are certainly not knackered, but as Steve said maybe the chrome has come off without me realising

Cheers

Woodworm

I had this. And it was always one of three things

1. My crap hand sharpening. If the teeth are not sharpened absolutely spot on and evenly the bar will try and cut a banana. Which it cant cos its fixed. If this carries on the bar will wear one side and make things worse. The answer for me was a £20 lidls bench grinder never looked back. Chains £3 8 sharpens out of each then bin. Often got days of cutting out of a sharpen.

2. Burrs on the bottom of the bar rails.

3. The bar mounts need adjusting because the bar is not 90 deg to the timber.

I had this. And it was always one of three things

1. My crap hand sharpening. If the teeth are not sharpened absolutely spot on and evenly the bar will try and cut a banana. Which it cant cos its fixed. If this carries on the bar will wear one side and make things worse. The answer for me was a £20 lidls bench grinder never looked back. Chains £3 8 sharpens out of each then bin. Often got days of cutting out of a sharpen.

I have never had too much of a problem with the sharpening, but do have a bench grinder so it may be worth putting them on that for a try, where do you get the chains for £3?

2. Burrs on the bottom of the bar rails.

Could be a possibility, only looked at the top and it looked ok

3. The bar mounts need adjusting because the bar is not 90 deg to the timber.

Wouldn't understand how to adjust the angle

Thanks for your suggestions. Very much appreciated

Woodworm

Wouldn't understand how to adjust the angle

Thanks for your suggestions. Very much appreciated

Woodworm

I had a 2x very similar machine the bar should be vertical in the processor. If not you should find 4 bolts at the back of the the machine loosen and move the whole lot about till it looks right.