Setting up

WoodMouse

A lawn will recover very quickly from foot damage, those with nice lawns will know this.

for sure, appreciated. It's more the high traffic areas such as gates that I'm concerned about. A worn muddy bald patch by a gate would re-grow, but it's areas such as this that have my concern as opposed the the lawn as a whole. Perhaps I'm creating my own issues here.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being critical of a contractor who gave you a days work is an insult to him and a form of self praise to yourself, :sneaky2:and you think from 1 day you know how to do it better.:001_rolleyes:

There is 1 way to find out, go and do it.

Actions speak louder than words to me

Where was i critical of the contractor?

The lawn in in question wasn't even cut, had no edges and was in need of re-turfing. The Client was very happy with our work.

Doesn't mean that i don't have ideas about providing services that take other aspects into account.

Roll your neck in buddy, you've just made some incredibly insulting remarks. This is a forum for open discussion, and i've made it clear over and over that i'm learning.

So far you're the only person who's made any derogatory comments regarding my Contractor. Assumptions and nothing more, you take that back!

If the gate access is on a decent lawn, then it can be protected with 8x4s if necessary. Generally avoiding taking exactly the same route every drag will save too much damage. Every job is different, and is done differently, dependent on many factors.

no doubt on a well manicured lawn.

Thanks Dr. Green.

But just seeing how things were done certainly gave me ideas how i could separate myself from the 'pack'.

For one, personally, i love gardens. I see them as creative works, some obviously tended more closely than others. Now, if it were MY garden. And you wanted to bring three guys round to drag trees through it, id be more likely to pay two guys and a lifter to do it more conscientiously.

?

This is where i see it as critical, and now you are saying the garden was not pristine and the customer was happy. So the contractor had done a good job, given the customer what they wanted and adapted his methods to that particular job.

Your theories on how to do the job more efficiently and to make less damage would make sense if you had the same job spec to compare it against.

You were involved in a blitz.

So how is he not different from the ' pack ' :confused1:

This is where i see it as critical, and now you are saying the garden was not pristine and the customer was happy. So the contractor had done a good job, given the customer what they wanted and adapted his methods to that particular job.

Your theories on how to do the job more efficiently and to make less damage would make sense if you had the same job spec to compare it against.

You were involved in a blitz.

So how is he not different from the ' pack ' :confused1:

I wouldn't usually snap Stephen, but i was forced to defend my Guvnor there.

Not that it's even relevant to my line of questioning, but this job we did was a newly bought house. They didn't even have the curtains up. The flower beds had become overgrown with overhanging shrubs that had destroyed the shape of the boarders. And in the 'moving' process the grounds had become completely neglected. As you say, this was the final Blitz on the stuff the gardeners couldn't clear, and they wanted a blank slate to start from. We delivered this within the SLA.

And to be honest, i'm totally uncomfortable discussing any aspect of how the job 'was' done. I don't wish to discuss someone else's business, i'm here to discuss my business.

In this instance i would have thought that any team not employing the use of a skid or lifter as 'the pack', and i'm hoping to research the validity and indeed possible advantages of using such a piece of equipment.

I couldn't comment on how methods were adapted, or if this was his regular 'modus operandi', but i'd imagine it to be typical practice for any three man, chipper and truck team.

I'd rather have a two man, chipper, truck and lifter/skid set up as i hate donkey work. I'm looking for a way to make this into a marketable plan, something i can sell as a benefit to the client.