Rnli

Rich2484

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Went down there this morning and had a spinning head from all the info that was rapid fired into my brain. Still trying to sort it now.

Going back Tuesday with the paperwork and getting my bleeper. I'm on a six month probation period to acclimatise myself with it all and see how I do with the shouts, and to look at the attendance I can do.

Said I don't think I could do 100% what with tree work and all I wouldn't be able to just leave a job. They said that was fine and where happy that I could at least be honest with it.

Looked around the boat, bit like a tardis they are. Wouldn't have thought so much could be fitted in one. And I nearly wet myself when I saw the engines. Two mtu 1000hp twin supercharged v10s. My god.

So Tuesday I'm officially starting my time. After six months (possibly less depending on my attendance) I will be off to Poole to do the training for boat crew. They said with my knowledge on the mechanics I could be working closely with the mechanics.

Got to say I'm looking forward to it all.

Not looking forward the he training in Poole as the last test is jumping into the water and swimming to the raft and having to stay in there for an hour under storm conditions before being lifted out. Bit worried about that bit so will have to find a happy place.

Good bunch of blokes aswell.

Not looking forward the he training in Poole as the last test is jumping into the water and swimming to the raft and having to stay in there for an hour under storm conditions before being lifted out. Bit worried about that bit so will have to find a happy place

Good bunch of blokes aswell.

Top tip Rich, be the last guy into the raft, hang around and help the others in.

They will then pull you in, which is less effort than pulling yourself in.

PLUS you will be by the door. If anyone chunders, and they are very likely to in the confined, airless space, you will be able to open the door a little and breath some fresh air.

Do you have to do the Helicopter dunk tank these days? Thats slightly scary. Did mine in Aberdeen.

Top tip Rich, be the last guy into the raft, hang around and help the others in.

They will then pull you in, which is less effort than pulling yourself in.

PLUS you will be by the door. If anyone chunders, and they are very likely to in the confined, airless space, you will be able to open the door a little and breath some fresh air.

Do you have to do the Helicopter dunk tank these days? Thats slightly scary. Did mine in Aberdeen.

I will remember that.

No the heli dunk is only for heli crews now. I did ask exactly what was in the tests but they said the dunk was scrapped as its not essential to boat crews.:thumbdown:

I know I'm going to chunder as I can stand it when I hear someone else do it. Just activates my gag reflex and away I go. But a few trips out should sort me out. It's no secret and everyone I spoke to has thrown at some point. Just got to get through the flak you get for it after..:biggrin:

They would not let us be winched from boat to chopper unless we knew how to get out if it ditched. Had to stay strapped in whilst fuselage sank and turned upside down. Count slowly to 20 (meant to give time for the egg whisk to stop) then release seat belt and follow the little lights to the door. They always but the biggest guys further from the door. It makes sure that everyone else gets out before the big boy gets stuck in the door ( I am not small) Still, that was then and this is now.

The only time I have ever come near to seasick was in that damn airless life raft. It did not help that the pool was heated. I managed to keep it down, even when most of the others had not. As you said, it only takes one.

Just got back from the station. What a cracking night. Got invited out on the boat. Completely not expecting to but went along. They done a medi vac training and we then went out into the channel for a quick burn as the boats engines are new.

What a thrill. This thing powerd through the water. I loved every second of it. Not got my pager yet so will see on Sunday.

It's definatly something I want to get into, the lads are a cracking bunch aswell. Did get invited down the pub but wanted to get home to see my boy as I went straight there after work.

I can see now why you loved it so much and was sad to leave gardenkit.

Glad you enjoyed it Rich. Which class of boat is it?

I was on inshores (Atlantic 21), but did get to helm a Severn in a MOB exercise once. Awseome experience helming from the top bridge using a tiny joystick.

It's a Severn class boat. It's the city of London 11. 17m long. Got to ride on the firedeck last night with the coxswain. It's all new to them so they are still getting used to using it. Done a few collision stops (if that's right) and it just stops quicker than my car then shunts into reverse. Throws you out the seat when it does.

Just an update.

Went out again today. Doing some fender bending practice. Then done some man overboard drills. All good stuff. Out for a couple of hours. Then the best part. I got to pilot the boat back in.

I'm enjoying this. And I'm going to keep doing it aswell. There's not a lot that will stop me carrying on that's for sure.