Typical US Risk Report--compare w/UK?

treeseer

Follow the link to the full report, if you have a minute. I'm wondering how this compares to 1. typical UK reports and 2. the way that UK arborists think that tree risk should be assessed.

Edited by Steve Bullman

I can not comment on a risk report generated from the UK, however I suspect that the link posted seems pretty SOP for the Arborculturel industry here stateside. I am also familiar with this part of the country and knowing the population and traffic patterns.

I can think of several reasons why it has taken so long to generate, none of which have anything to do with this industry.

easy-lift guy

This is a hard post to respond to Treeseer, because:

- in all honesty I am not sure what a 'typical' UK report is like (I've read plenty of good and plenty of not so good) and I don't know if the report you have posted is typical of a US report.

- I would also feel uncomfortable critiquing another persons report without their knowledge (particularly on a public forum!). Are you Ed Milhaus? If you want a UK perspective on one of your reports then fair enough....post one up for us.

I would add this though: in my experience trees showing decay symptoms located next to a highway are removed pretty quickly (provided they are picked up in the first place). I believe this is the case for 2 reasons:

- this is not the location in which to try and retain decaying trees due to the high risk zone

- typically local authorities managing street trees are managing a very large population of trees - the area I survey in has more than 90,000 street trees. Budget constraints mean that felling and replanting are normally preferred over extensive detailed surveys and pruning for management.

I am not saying these points are right or wrong but I do see the rationale.

I would add this though: in my experience trees showing decay symptoms located next to a highway are removed pretty quickly (provided they are picked up in the first place). I believe this is the case for 2 reasons:

- this is not the location in which to try and retain decaying trees due to the high risk zone

- typically local authorities managing street trees are managing a very large population of trees - the area I survey in has more than 90,000 street trees. Budget constraints mean that felling and replanting are normally preferred over extensive detailed surveys and pruning for management.

I am not saying these points are right or wrong but I do see the rationale.

Paul, good points and re propriety yes I said "This is not an uncommon methodology and my purpose is not to flame or praise its author. It's the method and criteria I am wondering about." but somehow it did not make the post. If the moderator could pull the attachment, i will try to put up an anonymised version. My bad.

re putting up my own reports, I already have, several.

re budget constraints leading to felling, I wonder how cost/benefit was calculated. I've seen pruning inserted as an annual item, when 5-10 years would have worked. And the most confounding thing: the value of the tree itself omitted from the equation. :001_huh: