quad or compact tractor

Hi,I need to do some small scale extraction from a mates forest and I need to make the least damage possible. The forest is on a steep hill and was thinking about a small skidder but don't know what to pull it with.I was thinking a quad or a small compact tractor about 20 horse.its only for small amounts when needed . Your opinions would be helpfull in making my mind up. At the moment i'm tempted with tractor due to running costs and versatility but unsure about the HP req. Thanks,Gethin.:thumbup1:

I would always go for quad for extraction they'll go any where you can skid with them very well or extract with trailer. If your only extracting small amounts each year (I may get some stick for this) but have you considered hiring in dumper, they are very nimble in woods can carry a lot in one hit as long as it is only cut into 4ft lengths and you don't have to store or maintaine it.

To be honest I can borrow the plant off my mate the last machine I had towing out some douglas fir was a MF digger but now the ground is too wet and diggers are not the best machines on steep ground.

Having been given the trees I dont like to borrow all the time. I quite fancy a diesel polaris do you think thrse fan take the punishment. Thanks

I would go down the compact tractor route, I have run most small scale kit and a compact is the most versitile option, and if you require powered implements at a later date these will be a lot cheaper (eg flails etc), also ATVs in a woodland situation on steep ground are dangerous, I use an atv for woodland work but only on flatish ground, once we get on steep ground the alpine with skidding winch comes out its a lot quicker and safer at getting timber off than an atv

Have to agree with Charlie on this one,ATV's are great in the right situation but not great in a wet woodland. At least you can get yourself out of trouble with a tractor winch in most situations and the variety of other work associated with a tractor can easily bring more and more work flooding in for you...Have a try with a nice little alpine tractor on wide tyres and im sure you will be impressed by them.

• 3 weeks later...

The wildlife trust my wife used to work for had a diesel polaris quad... It was a nightmare to start when warm. Try a polaris 550 sportsman. Now that is a weapon. Hydrastatic no gears. 0- 95 km in no time at all happy days. Prob not brill for skidding timber thou. I would get a tractor.

Personally i think i would prefer a tractor and winch especially if downhill skidding.

If you use a skidding arc you need to get right over the tush and cant drop it if you start getting pushed downhill. Whereas with a tractor and winch you can winch the tush to the back of the tractor and you can drop the tush when crossing difficult ground.