Ancient Qualifications

benbound

I was wondering if anyone could help me to know what I need to get my old qualifications recognised against current standards, or do I need to be re-assessed.

I did the City and Guilds 10 week tree surgery for craftsmen at Merrist Wood in the early 90's and then spent several years contracting. About 10 years ago I stopped full time climibing but always kept my hand in. I'm now returning to the industry and would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks for the replies, will certainly go down the refresher route. Rigging seems to be full of gadgets these days but the principles are the same as they always were.

I see nobody favours a stout pairt of corduroy trousers for climbing anymore, all gone to these new high-tech chainsaw trousers :)

Ben,

NPTCs still really 'rule the roost', so to speak, so provided your 10 week course included those then you may be able to bring them up-to-speed with some update training as others have said.

If however it didn't, then I see little option but for you to do them now. Your 10 week course will always have recognition but, without the NPTCs, doesn't meet the PUWER Regs requirement for chainsaw use etc., i.e. a recognised certificate of competence. This may / will work against you when applying for jobs and/or accessing contracts.

Hope this helps, 'good luck'.

Paul