Decay dectection equipment

stevelucocq

It's an interesting point, what is likely to happen if there was no management. Well it's actually three points realy I suppose, Firstly is there a need for a management policy, secondly is a current management methodology effective, thirdly what happens if you remove it.

Is a managment policy necessary?

Well based on pure statistics it probably is though it is debatable when there is a very low target incidence. What I mean is if you take the urban tree population as whole there are probably enough failures to justify intervention to reduce risk, when it comes to rural tree populations it is less clear in some circumstances as to whether a management methodology can actualy reduce risk, since the risk is veryow to start with.

OK, is a managment methodology effective?

This can be looked at as the balance between incedences of failure and number of trees removed or amount of work carried out. A management policy should be cradle to grave as it were. there is an above expected spend on tree work then the policy is probably inefficient and the same goes for if there are above expected failure rates (have to say above expected rather than above average becuase you might be in an expensive part of the country and therefore pay more for work or you might expect more failures in exposed locations).

What happens if you remove it?

Well if it's ineffective then not much probably, but if it is effective then you will get more failures and you go back to the first question.

So to know whether or not you need managment methodology you just need to answer the first question, so I guess the answer in most cases is, yes.

Are most management methodologies effective, well I couldn't possibly comment without being bought a beer first!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well based on pure statistics it probably is though it is debatable when there is a very low target incidence. What I mean is if you take the urban tree population as whole there are probably enough failures to justify intervention to reduce risk, when it comes to rural tree populations it is less clear in some circumstances as to whether a management methodology can actualy reduce risk, since the risk is veryow to start with.

Is there any data out there?

Maybe the findngs of the National Tree Safety Group will shed some light on the matter??

There is data available from all sorts of places you just need the determination to find it and collate it. The real problem though is that it is no good just looking at tree failures. The failures need to be put into context. You need to understand what is waiting in the wings (how stable is the population) what management is doing to manage, reduce or even hide potential failures. How do the local environmental conditions dictate what might happen: retrospectively, currently and in the future. I have a large body of data including some tree failure case studies. There is a need for tree management to reduce risk but the problem is I tend to see a one size fits all approach which isn't necessarily justified

• 4 years later...
hi,

I am busy in the process studying for my tech cert and at the moment I am covering decay dectection equipment. There are many pieces of equipment mentioned but I was wondering whats generally being used out in the field at the moment. Any advantages and disadvantages would be interesting. Ow by the way this is not a piece of course work I am trying to get other people to answer for me!

cheers steve

hello steve, hows things?

my emails changed if youve been emailing!

theres lots of info out there on the merits and downside or weaknesses of the various methods, but with the advent of the new resist-o-graph drill which now detects both forms of measurement this would appear to have the best of all the methods though there is the invasive argument which I wont get into here! its a lot of hog!

if you have the manual of decays mattheck (its cheap) it has some good info or drop me a line 07952948202 and I will try to send out some info:thumbup1:

I thought the ADD just gave an led three number digit on its screen?

yeah i got it mixed up with an incorrectly labelled picture I lazily looked at on another site so got myself all confused. realised the error of my ways now!! :blushing:

Yo,

Again resurrecting an old thread, but I'm looking for an example readout from an Arborsonic Decay Detector please. I can't seem to find anything with a google search and what I thought was an ADD was not! Many thanks.

You may find using a picus tomograph is an easier example to use than an arborsonic for that assignment :001_smile: