Couple of fells

mistahbenn

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some nice drops...

Question on that one with a lot of side weight, pulled with the big truck:

Do you really think that wedge does much good? Guessing you used it to keep the bar from getting pinched if the tree set back.. I have used wedges and lots of force on pull lines together before, but this one didn't really look like it had much back weight...

Hey Dan. I used the wedge just for peace or mind, advantage, the tree was definitely going where it was gunned, I just like to me 200% sure it aint going anywhere else. The house is being ripped out, so I could have done a Nosack and put it on the roof, but it aint in my blood :)

c'mon now.. you gotta roll one or two on a roof when you get a chance to see what happens... I'll see if I can dig up some old footage of Big Jon bombing some monster oak pieces from 40-60'... at least one landed in the kitchen... turned out to be a mistake though casue they were hard to get out (and off the roof) and the demo guy charged my buddy and extra $500, just to move the pieces out of the way. It was his house and hopefully he still has the tape.

I gotta a couple hemlocks coming down on the tear down property soon. Have to pick up the camera from the shop for that one.. I did roll a medium hemlock off a garage roof on purpose many years ago.. worked beautifully, as the hemlock has all those nice limbs to cushion the fall. I'll try to put these two trees on the roof without damage.. Just for FUN! Might try using multiple narrow notches to walk them down .. not sure if it can be done with trees this big.. any suggestions?

ps.. hey I missed that episode of nosak...

also as a teaching piece, have your noticed leaving a wide® corner on a hinge (like the one in your present avatar, which I believe is from the tree in question)... throwing the gun off by some degrees.. I've seen even small variations in the hinge like that make a big difference in some falls and none whatsoever in others.. Still working on that one... Anyone care to venture a thought as to why it effects some falls and not others.. certaainly species could have a lot to do with it.. maybe height of back cut too. Perhaps direction and force of pull line/side weight in combination etc. pretty sure there is something else going on though.. maybe a combination of all the above..

Edited by dadio

• 6 months later...

A continuation of the construction site, we take out some more trees for the Russian developers. Leave stumps high for digger removal. Easy work.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3Yjja-Cg9k]Some more felling - YouTube[/ame]

Edited by mistahbenn