Thoughts wanted on Firewood Fair

FC forever

Hello everyone

I am one of the people that work voluntarily every year to organise the Lincolnshire Firewood Fair.

We have mostly the same people every year supporting us and doing the organisation, giving demonstrations and putting items into the auction.

I really want peoples thoughts on what should happen with the event, particularly those that work locally. Or other peoples experiences from further afield.

I know Firewood prices are so good you really do not need to auction stuff off but the day was always supposed to be more than that. It was promotion of what we all do and educating the public that burning wood is good and cutting down trees is not always a bad thing. This was recognised this year when we won one of Lincolnshires Environmental awards.

It was also a social event with a chance to catch up with old friends (some of who never seem to leave the woods) over a beer. Hell knows working for the FC it is the only time people talk to me without asking for a felling licence for yesterday or handing me a grant application.

Has the Firewood Fair had it's day ? Is there anyone out there who thinks it should continue and evolve and more importantly is there anyone out there who is prepared to put their firewood or their time where their mouth is and help organise it.

A bit of a rant but I think we just want to know we are providing an event industry wants and not just flogging a dead saw horse.

David

Hi David,

I've not made it to the firewood fair for a couple of years (maybe three) when I was still working for Alpinetractors, but thought it was a nice, friendly atmosphere and that it seemed to attract a good range of people from those in the industry to people just having a day out. Don't know if it's changed much since then but definitely felt it was an event I'd have come back to if it had been a bit closer to home.

Shame the FC round us don't do anything similar.

Hello Chris

Thanks for your comments. In truth the first year the FC was almost totally responsible for funding and organising the event but during year two we withdrew "official support" but still help with promotion etc. My involvement now is more out of work hours support.

Regards,

David

I think you are flogging a dead horse.I believe that these sort of events have helped to highlight that such an industry exists and has helped people understand more about the product.I think that it is hard for firewood fairs to re invent themselves and will eventually bore the public at large.The want to be entertained at such events and if they think its just going to be the same lines of bulk bags in a slow auction they will not bother.I think it has served its purpose and should be allowed to die naturally.